You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/31/2016 8:05 am  #1

Fishing in October

I have to admit I am a terrible fisherman and really don't know much about what I'm doing at all when it comes to fishing.  I'm going to be heading up to the Park (probably car camping at Mew) with my dad and 9 year old son in mid to late October.  Are the fish still biting that time of year?  We'd be fishing off shore/docks etc. as we likely won't be bringing up the canoe.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

8/31/2016 8:18 am  #2

Re: Fishing in October

Fish don't stop biting as the weather cools, if anything they bite more... except for largemouth but there aren't any in that area anyway. Brookies and lakers will be OOS. You could certainly go for smallmouth from shore in some places, or rock bass if you just want an easy catch for the kiddo. I'll let someone else weigh in on whether splake are shore-catchable at that time of year.

8/31/2016 8:33 am  #3

Thanks DanPM.  Any Perch in the area that anyone knows of?  My son had his first taste of Perch this summer and he's hooked lol. 

9/01/2016 9:07 am  #4

good time for splake . i use dead salted minnows on a bobber or slip sinker rig. jack lake is good. gotta take a canoe in. no place from shore to fish. go in on the right fork in the trail, opposite way. the other way has several sets of real stairs to climb a big pain to negotiate with a canoe,, the stairs are complete with railings.
  good bass and splake in provoking lake portage is all up hill. eat your wheaties 

Last edited by swedish pimple (9/01/2016 9:08 am)

9/03/2016 10:39 am  #5

I can't be very helpful about perch... I think most of the Hwy 60 lakes have them, but I don't know if any have eating sized perch. A lot of Algonquin lakes just have tiny ones.

But I'll give up a convenient spot for rock bass, since they're invasive and not very popular. Downstream end of the 195 m portage on the Madawaska River, right around where the Track & Tower Trail from Mew Lake Camgpround merges with the Old Railway Bike Trail. Toss worms into the eddies. Have fun.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.