You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/24/2015 2:04 pm  #1

Rock Lake sites

I am taking my 11 year old daughter this weekend for her first ever canoe trip. She loves to swim and was wondering if there is some better than others for swimming?  I couldnt find anything on the pci page.  Any suggestions are appreciated.

8/27/2015 7:29 pm  #2

Re: Rock Lake sites

There is a lovely grassy site with an adjoing small beach on the same side as rock lake campground B (tent campground), just past old estate, and you can see it easily if you canoe close to coastline, but the booth trail runs behind the site so you may see people passing by on occasion.. If you get to the large rock wall or islands, youve gone too far. On the other hand, theres a lovely site with beach in between the two islands too. Have a great weekend, it supposed to be nice and warm! Sites closer to Dam and Galeiry are rougher, although one (just past rock wall) has a nice undeep small gravely bay with large low stone landing. Site is small, but small bay may make for decent swimming too.
wandaS

8/27/2015 8:55 pm  #3

Thanks for the reply. Just the kind of info I was looking for.

8/31/2015 7:46 am  #4

Well we snagged the western site on Jean island. Beautiful 3 tiered site that rises about 50 ft in total at the back of it. She was having a great time until Sunday about 4 pm when we were visited by a black bear. It appeared on the second tier and about thirty feet away from my daughter. After alerting her, she moved to the water behind me as we both blew our whistles and screamed at it like all the literature says.  It never read the same guidelines I guess cuz it just stood there and sniffed without a care in the world. As it started towards our level I went for the paddles (and camera....they weren't far) Just in case. It turned up the hill instead of down and disappeared into the woods. Needless to say we packed up and headed for the AP in record time. We did warn the other site of the bear before we left the island. Scary situation for us both but now a great story to tell.  It was kind of ironic too that we switched our reservation from Ragged lake to Rock because of the bear warnings there.....lol

8/31/2015 10:55 am  #5

Great Story but too bad it cut your trip short. 
I have stayed on that site and thet Island many times over the years, mainly on the Shoulder seasons and never seen any signs of Bears.
Just another example that Bears do swim to Islands.

8/31/2015 11:35 am  #6

When we reported it at the office, they knew of her making rounds between Pog, Coon, and Rock campgrounds but never the interior sites. Apparently she is known as Princess and has half a paw. I reported her as having a broken leg not knowing, but she was tagged.  I can see (especially now) how someone can think it is safer on an island. I was definitely thinking that way. The other amazing thing is the day before, "Princess" was spotted near the Rock lake office and had traveled that far with a bad leg in that amount of time.

8/31/2015 12:10 pm  #7

Haha... I had the pleasure of meeting Princess at the Pog Lake campground on August 9. I reported her at the campground office and apparently she was one of the ones that had been recently relocated, but my sighting confirmed she'd made it back. The lame paw (front right) is from a run in with a car some 3 years ago, but hasn't stopped her from climbing trees, or travelling long distances apparently.

9/01/2015 12:25 pm  #8

I hope that now you are home you and your daughter regard your encounter as a positive experience
After all the bear was not aggressive though screaming is not usually the way to go. It sounds like a hurt animal an opportunity
I was trained to speak slowly and calmly to Bears
And I've been honored to visit their park and see a few
At home they just run cause they are hunted

9/01/2015 2:06 pm  #9

I am definitely glad our first experience with a bear was with a non aggressive one. My daughter was petrified and I was really freaked out but it hasn't deterred us from going back to the interior. Maybe just staying away from the hwy 60 corridor is the way to go though. Seems the odds increase the closer you are to car camping areas.

9/02/2015 7:58 am  #10

I've got some funny bear stories that are positive and made my trips very worthwhile. On a solo in a wide part of the Amable du Fond River I came upon a mama bear and three cubs.  ( a few minutes behind me was a large group in Grumman canoes ..what a racket).  I stopped and they all walked to the end of the log, one after the other jumped in, returned to shore and repeated. It was a hot day. Bears do play!
Then came the metal armada..all jumped in ,,,swam across and disappeared in the bush.

The other was portaging our canoe to Radiant from The Madawaska River. The mom ran out of the bush and  under the bow of our being portaged canoe and looked at the portageur and ran.. The following cub came up out of the bush and stopped and looked at the portageur out of curiousity . By that time the portageur had a need of new you know what. But the cub left too.

I think that you have to accept that bears call Algonquin home. If it gives you peace of mind get and practice with bear spray.

Last edited by kayamedic (9/02/2015 7:59 am)

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.