You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/16/2016 7:59 am  #1

Nip R Water Levels (Burntroot/Cedar Area)

Hello All!,

I'll be in the park next week (doing Cedar > Catfish > Burntroot > Nip > Cedar loop).  Wondering if anyone can comment on current water levels in the area (assuming not high with this summer)?

Thanks very much :-)

8/16/2016 6:46 pm  #2

Re: Nip R Water Levels (Burntroot/Cedar Area)

I was there last week.  Overall, water levels are OK and it's passable.  Between Gauthier's Dam and the Nadine portage there are a number of areas where you'll have to wade when it's gets shallow (the whole stretch is pretty shallow.....).  There's still a bit of current in this section, and you'll need to avoid rocks, stumps and logs.  It took me just under 2 hours to do this section, and I usually travel quite quickly.  It probably depends a lot on how nice you want to be to your canoe.   If you plan on heading up to High falls from Gauthier's Dam, you will reach a point where you have to wade.  Your best bet is probably to park your gear and wade the rest of the way to the portage.  Keep an eye out for the kitchen sink....you'll probably miss it unless you're wading.

From the Nadine portage to Cedar, it's pretty slow moving and reasonably deep.  There are only a few areas where you need to be careful.  Jeff's map shows to rapids around the 230m portage.  There's actually 3, and you'll need to wade/carry over these.  There's not much water in these areas.

I was traveling solo with a lightly loaded canoe, so depending on how much of a load you have you might be wading more than I was.

The only other thing to keep in mind is the camp sites on the Nipissing aren't fantastic, and aren't hammock friendly.  I stayed on Nadine, and was planning on staying at the midpoint to Cedar but just went straight from Nadine to Cedar non-stop.  I wasn't too inclined to take water from the Nipissing, so I took extra from Nadine.  The portage to Nadine is a bit of a beast, but it was worth it in my opinion.

8/17/2016 10:02 am  #3

Wow, Nadine to cedar in one day is impressive. You're right about the water on the Nipissing by the way. On Canada day weekend one of the people in my group got Giardia (Beaver fever) even though we were using purification tablets. 

8/17/2016 12:26 pm  #4

We did the Nip from Nadine to Cedar in 2 days. They were comfortable days (we are not so fast) but I agree about the campsites - the one we stayed on was horrendous.

8/17/2016 7:07 pm  #5

The main issue with the sites on the Nipissing is there's not much to do once you're there.  The sites are relatively small and closed in by thick brush.  There's no exploring in the woods or along the shore, and most have limited swimming options unless you don't mind a little mud.  Your best bet for swimming might be the site on the portage at the Perly Dam, but I didn't examine it too closely.  There wasn't much in the way of swimming at Rolling Dam, at least not directly from the site (I did think about staying here, but only because it was the first site where I thought I could hang a hammock).  The site on the portage to Lucklass would give you the portage to hike.  Otherwise, if you want to explore, you may as well hop in the canoe and continue to the next site.

8/18/2016 11:56 am  #6

I would guess that low water levels won't be a problem after the most recent weather.

Barbara

Take everything as it comes; the wave passes, deal with the next one.

Tom Thomson, 1877-1917

8/22/2016 6:24 am  #7

Thanks everyone!

:-)

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.