You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/31/2015 12:40 pm  #18

Re: Magnetawan Lake Access Point #3

Glad to hear. You should email the park about the water levels on the Petawawa (and McIntosh Creek, if you feel it's necessary) so they can update their advisories; the Petawawa advsiory is still up there and I feel like a lot of them are out of date.

9/01/2015 7:08 am  #19

I mentioned the water levels to the staff at the permit office.

Tom did you happen to come across a cow and calf moose on queer lake in the bay by the portage to Little Misty?  We finished up the portage Little Misty >Queer and I looked over and seen them.  I got some video of them eating eating in the shallows.  My pictures weren't that great as I only had a gopro (no zoom).

9/01/2015 1:28 pm  #20

Chris;
We did see a cow in that same bay, but no calf --- thought it a bit odd. We were able to get relatively close and I kept looking around for a calf but could not see one anywhere. The cow didn't seem too nervous about us being around either.
Nice to see at any rate. Had a really nice camp site on Queer.

9/01/2015 2:11 pm  #21

Ya we got fairly close as well.  I didn't want to get in too close, I didn't want to force them back into the bush.  Not too many things compare to that awesome sight!

It was my first time on queer lake and I must say it was a hit with everyone.  We didn't stay on it this time but we plan on doing that on a future trip.  Very nice lake.  We went through on Wednesday around noonish and we didn't see anyone on the lake or on the sites. 

Did you have the lake to yourself?

9/01/2015 3:18 pm  #22

I was into the Magnetwan Access this weekend and the road is not bad but plan on averaging no more than 40 or 50 KMH.
On a side note, I can not believe how busy that access is. One port was shared with 8 canoes going my way and 2 more coming the other way. Just keep your gear off to the side away from the confused at the landings and you will be fine.

9/02/2015 6:47 am  #23

Queer Lake is a real gem - has a really "remote" feel to it possibly due to relatively low traffic. Stayed on site #5 - very nice. There's a nice big flat rock by the water's edge perfect for viewing the sunset.
We didn't have the lake entirely to ourselves, there was one other party around the bend near the portage to Little Misty. Wasn't aware of anyone else though until the following day - so in all respects, it felt as if we were alone. Would definately stay there again.

Also surprised by the number of cars at the AP. Much more than what I expected, however once we got past Ralph Bice, it was just the odd paddler that we came into contact with. I guess there's alot of different possibilities for tripping from AP3 so the crowds can thin out quickly.

9/03/2015 6:37 pm  #24

Rob and Tom,

A couple odd questions/observations I made on my trip from a weeks ago.

1.  How did you find the cleanliness of sites you stayed on? 

The site on little Misty had underwear on it and we packed out 8 beer cans that were left behind (empty of course).  Very frustrating.  What was just as bad was the fire pit was still smoking when we arrived at the site. 

A site on Ralph Bice had food left all around the fire pit.  We took care of that too. Someone had thrown eggs into the lake too.  It was too cold for a swim the day we were there so we just let park staff know where to find them.  I feel bad for the Bears because in the end they pay the most.

2.  Did you come across a lot of discarded underwear?  Weird I know but we seen 5 pairs through out our loop, one for each day of our trip I guess.  Some were on sites and some on portage trails.  We left those alone too and reported their locations to park staff.

9/03/2015 8:40 pm  #25

ChrisMcD wrote:

The site on little Misty had underwear on it and we packed out 8 beer cans that were left behind (empty of course). Very frustrating. What was just as bad was the fire pit was still smoking when we arrived at the site.

I'd report that for sure, especially given the fire was left hot. Since there's only one site on Little Misty, Park Staff would (or should, at any rate) follow up for sure as they would be able to ID exactly who the responsible group was from the reservation. 

Dave

9/03/2015 9:43 pm  #26

I reported the fire pit, food and underwear at the permit office.  I wouldn't normally say anything about the underwear but I had no desire to pick it up myself lol.

The lady there took detailed notes on all my concerns.  I hope they follow up with the person who left the fire pit.  I'm sure it was just an honest mistake but it could've been a lot worse if it were a windy day and the ground had been dryer. 

She was quite upset about the food and the fire pit and assured me these would be investigated.   

Not much they can do about the food in terms of tracking down the culprit, given the number of people/sites that are on the lake.  But at least they can have the eggs removed from the lake.

9/04/2015 8:20 am  #27

WHAT was happening that someone left so much underwear behind!?! Leaving anything behind is terrible and I always end up cleaning up after people at campsites (half-burned stuff in the firepit irks me to no end). But, I am so baffled about the underwear. Was it the same person with lots of underwear (why did they bring so many pairs!?!) or was it multiple Underwear Monsters? I have so many questions.....

9/04/2015 5:29 pm  #28

CanoeClaire wrote:

WHAT was happening that someone left so much underwear behind!?! Leaving anything behind is terrible and I always end up cleaning up after people at campsites (half-burned stuff in the firepit irks me to no end). But, I am so baffled about the underwear. Was it the same person with lots of underwear (why did they bring so many pairs!?!) or was it multiple Underwear Monsters? I have so many questions.....

Maybe they had washed a couple and were letting them dry and they got blown away...*shrugs* It's funny how people think children are irresponsible but they just don't know better. Adults on the otherhand...tsk tsk

9/05/2015 10:49 pm  #29

I have no answers about the underwear.

There was a pair at the little Misty site, another pair on a portage along the Pet.  And 2 more in the trees at the site we stayed on at Ralph Bice.

So many underwear, so many questions.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.