You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/15/2016 5:19 am  #1

Fire Ban ended - August 14, 2016

http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/news/2016/2016-08-11_fire_ban_declared.php

Issued: August 11, 2016 Updated: August 14, 2016 Status: Current

Fire Ban Ended in Algonquin Park

Ontario Parks has ended the Fire Ban for Algonquin Park as of 11:30am on August 14, 2016.

Fires are now permitted in Algonquin Park.

The current Fire Danger Rating in Algonquin Park is Low as a result of more than 34 millimetres of rain that fell at the East Gate on August 12-14, 2016.

Park visitors are reminded to always use caution with fires, never leave fires unattended, and only light fires in designated areas.

Last edited by Barbara (8/15/2016 5:20 am)

Take everything as it comes; the wave passes, deal with the next one.

Tom Thomson, 1877-1917

8/15/2016 8:44 am  #2

Re: Fire Ban ended - August 14, 2016

So strange to read about this now that we're out.

We went into Booth the morning of the 11th, and at the time of permit issuing (11 am), no ban was in place.

We were told that IF a ban was put in place, we'd be notified in person.  I guess by Friday enough rain was falling despite the ban being in place, they park couldn't cover enough areas to tell people not to have fires that were already in.  Plus pretty much all of Friday and Saturday it just rained and rained and rained some more.

Still, so strange in a summer this dry, to ONLY have a ban on during the wettest weekend of the summer.

I'm glad we had our fires though, carefully tended of course, but they were the bright spot at the end of some very soggy days!

8/15/2016 9:33 am  #3

Re: Fire Ban ended - August 14, 2016

The fire ban should have been imposed earlier.   I've seen several campsites seriously damaged by fire this summer and it really makes me angry.   There is a good chance that last weeks fires on Opeongo Lake and Highfalls Lake could have been avoided if a fire ban had already been in place.

We were also in the park on the weekend at Lake Travers.  We sure got a lot of rain, however just walking normally on the beach could move enough sand to reveal dry sand.   Once the ground dries out it really does take a lot of rain to get it moist again.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.