You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/27/2016 7:01 pm  #1

Tom Thomson presentation at Achray

I feel a little funny about posting this here since I haven't been very active on this board of late. But for those of you who may remember us from the old board and those who might know us through our website: http://www.mcelroy.ca/bushlog/ we would like to annouce that Bob and Diana will be giving a presentation to mark Tom Thomson's stay at Achray,100 years previous.

The talk will be at Achray, in the Achray theatre, on Tuesday, July 19th at 7:00pm.
More details on the Park's events calendar http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/involved/calendar/?trumbaEmbed=date%3D20160719#/?i=1 or check out our Bushlog page on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/mcelroys.bushlog.

So if you're in the vicinity and looking for something to do on July 19 ...

Bob M

6/28/2016 6:55 am  #2

Re: Tom Thomson presentation at Achray

Happy to have you post here any time. Full details from the official website's notice ...

"Tom Thomson at Achray with Bob and Diana McElroy

Tuesday, July 19, 2016, 7 – 8pm    Bob and Diana McElroy have spent the past several years searching for the painting locations of Tom Thomson’s sketches in the Achray area. The McElroy’s have located many – some definitely, some only tentatively. Some of these locations are well known or obvious, others are not. The identification of these locations in the present era is complicated by regrowth of the forest and, to a lesser extent, the decay of logging dams and chutes over the intervening 100 years. The Algonquin Park that Thomson saw was quite different from the park of today. But the converse of this is that his paintings provide an insight, albeit indirect, into the environment of 100 years ago.

Tom Thomson spent the summer of 1916 working as a Fire Ranger working out of Achray in eastern Algonquin Park.  While he painted when he could, he went on to paint about a dozen large studio pieces including The West Wind, The Jack Pine, Woodland Waterfall, The Pointers, and The Drive with most, and perhaps all, of these were based on field paintings (sketches) executed in the Achray area. Many believe these are some of his most significant works.

In this presentation, Bob and Diana McElroy will discuss several of Thomson’s paintings from the summer of 1916, and what these paintings can tell us about Thomson’s stay at Achray and about the Algonquin Park environment at the time.

This program takes place at the Achray Theatre in the Achray Campground."

6/28/2016 7:29 am  #3

So sad I cannot attend. I hope its popular enough for a return engagement later this summer or next year.

James

7/17/2016 11:42 am  #4

Just a reminder for anyone who may be on the East Side of APP on Tuesday.

James - sorry you can't make it.  Maybe we'll run into you some other time.

7/18/2016 11:04 am  #5

I so wish I was closer than the 750 miles that are presently between me and Achray.  I would have loved to hear your first-hand account and observations - especially with the two perspectives of Bob and Diana which are so unique from one another!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.