You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/28/2016 7:30 pm  #1

Best Backcountry Campsites?

I'm planning the rest of my paddling season, and rather than cover ground like I usually do, I want to base camp for a couple of days at a few great sites (multiple trips) so I can explore and take pictures.  Does anyone have a favourite campsite that they don't mind telling me, even if it's by private message?  I'm going to assume I'll have to visit them in non-peak days/months if they're well known and popular.  I'm interested in any and all areas of the park.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

6/28/2016 8:34 pm  #2

Re: Best Backcountry Campsites?

BRULE.The one furthest north. Could have been the group I was with but fell in love with this site. Spectacular in my opinion. Nice quiet lake with option to visit browns falls.

6/28/2016 8:58 pm  #3

Big Trout Lake under (White Trout) on Jeff's Map, not the one on the point but just a few hundred yards to the South-East. I haven't explored the Lake was just passing through but the site was one of the best I've seen. Nice big benches to rest on at the end of the day.

6/28/2016 9:30 pm  #4

Shayne74 wrote:

BRULE.The one furthest north. Could have been the group I was with but fell in love with this site. Spectacular in my opinion. Nice quiet lake with option to visit browns falls.

Thanks.  I may have to borrow your group then.

6/28/2016 9:32 pm  #5

ahubbs wrote:

Big Trout Lake under (White Trout) on Jeff's Map, not the one on the point but just a few hundred yards to the South-East. I haven't explored the Lake was just passing through but the site was one of the best I've seen. Nice big benches to rest on at the end of the day.

And facing east for the sunrise, which I like (assuming I know the one you mean).  Thanks

6/29/2016 8:16 am  #6

I really like the site at the north end of daisy lake.  South facing, great sunrise view down the narrows towards the pet.     
I also really enjoyed site #5 on opalescent.  Nice big rock at the waters edge with a stone couch around the campfire

6/29/2016 8:29 am  #7

The 2 north east sites on Mouse are awesome, both linked by a nice beach.

6/29/2016 11:40 am  #8

Where is Brule?  I don't think I've been on that lake before...can't seem to find it on a map

6/29/2016 12:04 pm  #9

One of my favorites is the site on Grassy Bay that is across from where the Petawawa comes into Grassy Bay.

Stayed their last year, nice open spot, breeze kept the bugs away and there's a big flat rock you can dry any wet gear off or have an afternoon nap.  I don't fish normally so I'm not sure if the fishing is any good but there were lots of minnows swimming around the shore.

There are multiple vantage points into different parts of grassy bay as it's a point.  I've been through there twice and have yet to see moose but I know they are in there. 

Also offers the option for day trips up the Pet. Or go through white trout and venture out of big trout for further options.  On white trout just before entering the narrows to big trout there's a big field where an old farm/depot used to be.  It's marked on Jeff's map.  It's a good area to spot a variety of wildlife, well at least in my experiences.

6/29/2016 1:10 pm  #10

I think we may be talking about a different site, this one would be the site on the panhandle on the eastern end of the lake, the site on the point would be the easternmost site on Big Trout and it's located just to the south of that by a couple hundred yards. Would get the sun in the evening, thought I would clarify so you don't show up to a bad site at the end of a long day,​ It actually kinda looks like an north-eastern exposure on the map because of the long finger that reaches out into the lake, its fairly closed into the forest as well if your a sun seeker (I'm more of a sunny days in the shade type). 

6/29/2016 2:45 pm  #11

Steve E wrote:

Where is Brule?  I don't think I've been on that lake before...can't seem to find it on a map

follow potter creek north from canoe lake. It ends in Potter lake and a shortish portage brings you to brule.

6/29/2016 3:20 pm  #12

Numerous sites on Big Trout, at least 4 or 5. For instance one at the mouth of the bay where portage to La Muir starts. White Trout - on the island. The east most on Catfish. Hogan - eastern site on the western island; also, on the point across from the cliffs. Merchant - east of Blowdown portage. McIntosh - 2 northern sites on the west coast. Various sites on miniature lakes between Nadine and Skuce. Erables - on the western point by an island. On the portage between Nod and Barred owl. Eastern site on Shah lake. Burntroot - I'll shut up now.

6/29/2016 3:38 pm  #13

EddyTurn wrote:

Numerous sites on Big Trout, at least 4 or 5. For instance one at the mouth of the bay where portage to La Muir starts. White Trout - on the island. The east most on Catfish. Hogan - eastern site on the western island; also, on the point across from the cliffs. Merchant - east of Blowdown portage. McIntosh - 2 northern sites on the west coast. Various sites on miniature lakes between Nadine and Skuce. Erables - on the western point by an island. On the portage between Nod and Barred owl. Eastern site on Shah lake. Burntroot - I'll shut up now.

LOL, that will do!

6/29/2016 9:51 pm  #14

Geez. You ask a simple question. Lol!have fun.

6/29/2016 11:13 pm  #15

I have to agree with Foxriderz. Opalescent has two great sites directly across from each other. I stayed at #5 also and it's great to swim from. Great picture taking along Barron Cannon close by but you loose valuable camping time with the long drive to the east side of the park.' I'm also familiar with the site off Daisy and it's great too but I had troubles approaching the site when winds were about 20-25 km early June this yr.. There's a great site on Booth that has a fantastic stone cutting board for preparing your "catch of the day" 😉. It's on the S/E shore, the 6th or 7th site I think, as you approach the narrows into the south end of the lake.

"Anyone can make love in a canoe, it's a Canadian who knows enough to take out the centre thwart!        Bahahaha!
                                                                      - Philip Chester

6/30/2016 6:06 am  #16

Great recommendations everyone, thanks. I'll look through these and start planning!

6/30/2016 3:13 pm  #17

I honestly can't give a proper answer to this question (thats why I haven't answered your private message yet ). I have been to many great sites but I find a mediocre site can seem much better when with good company, or an amazing site can seem mediocre in the wrong season. For example I stayed at the southern island site on Daisy Lake 2 falls ago with my brother. It was windy, rainy, and very cold (late October). The site didn't seem overly spectacular but I stayed there a few weeks ago during a warm spell and it was my favourite Algonquin experience thus far this season. I would spend multiple days at that site in a heartbeat during the summer but good luck getting it! ;-) Another one that really sticks out for me is the Southern most site on Head lake right beside the waterfall flowing from Kenneth. It's on a point with an amazing view, great benches set-up, great fishing etc.. 
Years ago we stayed at one of the North-Eastern sites on Mouse lake in the late fall which also sticks out in my mind as being spectacular. But the same goes for the site on Club Lake with all of the old logging camp remnants. Although some people consider these artefacts "trash".

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.