You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/24/2016 5:28 pm  #1

Water level reports - Summer 2016

Low water levels can turn a nice route into a sufferfest. Feel free to post your water level reports here. It is VERY dry in Algonquin Park right now and there isn't much rain in the long-range forecast. I wouldn't be surprised if a fire ban was imposed soon.

I have both personal and professional interest in this topic. A big part of my job is planning and booking canoe routes for unsuspecting tourists, so I don't want to send them up a creek without any water.

Any info on the Madawaska River between Cache and LTR would be much appreciated. Two friends and I are planning to do the Opeongo-Oxtongue leg of the Meanest Link in the second week of July. I am starting to get a bit concerned about that stretch.

6/26/2016 9:37 am  #2

Re: Water level reports - Summer 2016

Looks like the South Madawaska River is pretty dry around Clydegale. Check the park advisories before you go
http://algonquinpark.on.ca/news/algonquin_park_advisories.php

6/27/2016 2:18 pm  #3

Hi Gord

My family and I are going to paddle that section of the mad the last week of July. I suspect we'll be walking it by then unless the rain forecast changes.

Have you done any of the other links?

James

6/28/2016 12:58 pm  #4

Anyone been down the Tim River recently?  Just looking for info on water levels between Tim Lake and Rosebary.

Didn't see any low water advisories on the site but that doesn't mean their not low.

I know typically later in the season (August) their are normally low water warnings for that stretch.  I was down that stretch in May and some spots were low already. 

Thanks.

6/28/2016 2:21 pm  #5

One can always call the park and ask for the latest status. I will be doing the Tim in few days and will gladly give a heads-up, but not before July 8.

6/28/2016 3:53 pm  #6

Ya if you could let me know Eddy that would be awesome. 

I'm not going until August, and I figure I will be lining the canoe.  Which I am fine with, adds to the fun

I was just curious with the lack of rain this year what the levels were like.

Enjoy your trip Eddy!  Where about's are you headed?

6/28/2016 6:45 pm  #7

Sure, Chris. I'm taking the Tim to Rosebary, then the Nip to Burntroot and back by the way of McIntosh creek and the Petawawa to Magnetawan. Should be very quite between Rosebary and Burntroot and very busy after that.

6/28/2016 7:39 pm  #8

ChrisMcD wrote:

I'm not going until August, and I figure I will be lining the canoe. Which I am fine with, adds to the fun .

Enjoy your trip Eddy! Where about's are you headed?

That I'd like to see!  I've often heard about the low water levels there so I look at the topography every time I paddle through, and I can't image what it would be like trying to line parts of it.  Actually, I can imagine - waist deep bog in a few sections.  Is it even possible?  I remember bog wading what I think was the Madawaska in the mid eighties with a buddy and our girlfriends, and all I can picture is the African Queen and leeches.

6/28/2016 7:42 pm  #9

Just got back from kiosk.

The rail bridge on kisok is well above the water line

No real issues with going down to mouse and back up though erables and maple creek.

There's a bunch of beaver dams in maple creek too.

6/28/2016 8:02 pm  #10

My Self Reliance wrote:

ChrisMcD wrote:

I'm not going until August, and I figure I will be lining the canoe. Which I am fine with, adds to the fun .

Enjoy your trip Eddy! Where about's are you headed?

That I'd like to see!  I've often heard about the low water levels there so I look at the topography every time I paddle through, and I can't image what it would be like trying to line parts of it.  Actually, I can imagine - waist deep bog in a few sections.  Is it even possible?  I remember bog wading what I think was the Madawaska in the mid eighties with a buddy and our girlfriends, and all I can picture is the African Queen and leeches.

I will let you know just how fun it is if I have to do that.  Although I forsee your dipiction being very accurate though, muddy and leechy.  Hopefully I don't have to do that though.

6/28/2016 8:18 pm  #11

EddyTurn wrote:

Sure, Chris. I'm taking the Tim to Rosebary, then the Nip to Burntroot and back by the way of McIntosh creek and the Petawawa to Magnetawan. Should be very quite between Rosebary and Burntroot and very busy after that.

Awesome route!  I have not been to Burntroot or the Nip yet.  Next year a buddy and I are doing a week long trip similar to yours, we're just continuing down the nip to cedar and looping back.  Looking forward to the solitude (hopefully) on the Nip.

I was down Macintosh creek back through to Magnetawan last year with some buddies.  We lucked out, only seen people on their way out and we were on our way out seen a couple coming in.  Lots on Ralph Bice of course.

Eddy are you planning on doing a trip report after?

6/28/2016 9:55 pm  #12

@Chris: Burntroot is a gem. Sitting dead center of the park it's not over-populated, much less than Big Trout, though it's just 3 hours away (may be even less if going via La Muir). No TR for many reasons, like: English is not my first and I can't be funny in it. Also, most of the route I know by heart, so I can't write anything fresh. Also, it's been reported million times.
@MySelfreliance: I'm not taking a lining rope to the Tim. Two years ago it broke my paddle when I was trying to negotiate some tight corner in pretty good current - it was end of June. Hopefully some water's still there.

7/08/2016 8:40 pm  #13

The Tim from Tim lake to Rosebary has no water issues; same goes for the Nip from Loontail creek to Ramona portage. During last 7 days there were two heavy rains in the area, so for a while it should stay in good form. In general AP is at the lowest I have seen and some portage landings can present a problem (i.e. walk in the mud).

7/08/2016 11:18 pm  #14

EddyTurn wrote:

The Tim from Tim lake to Rosebary has no water issues; same goes for the Nip from Loontail creek to Ramona portage. During last 7 days there were two heavy rains in the area, so for a while it should stay in good form. In general AP is at the lowest I have seen and some portage landings can present a problem (i.e. walk in the mud).

Thanks for the info regarding the Tim Eddy!  Hope you had a great trip.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.