You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/22/2016 8:58 am  #1

Survival Pack

Anyone who was out in the park last weekend experienced the typical 4-season fun that we see in early May; summer, then spring, followed by fall and just for good measure, some snow coming out on Sunday... Our group was on Lavieille and had a number of potentially serious events occur.
In one instance, two of our group were wind-bound, waiting for things to die down, they realized they might have to stay the night and built a lean-to and a fire.  Not long after, another group pulled up; a solo paddler had capsized in the wind and been rescued by the other canoe in the group, when they landed this guy couldn't move his arms or legs.  Our guys put this victim in their shelter and warmed him up at their fire, helping to avert what could have been a very bad situation.

That kind of situation has made me re-think what I bring with me while on "day trips" away from a base camp. 

I always bring a small day pack with me when I'm away from base camp, usually there's food, water, stuff for lighting fires, some rope etc...but going forward there's always going to be a tarp taped under a canoe seat and at least in the spring, a dry bag with some extra clothing....

5/22/2016 1:05 pm  #2

Re: Survival Pack

Excellent idea Kurt. I would also suggest taking a first aid course which all of us should have.  There are also wilderness specific courses available ( disclaimer - I have not taken wilderness first aid. I do have AFA as I am  ski patroller ). They get more creative ie filling your nalgene bottles or even a gravity works filter bag - anything you have, with urine, and placing in the groin and armpits of the patient to warm the blood in the brachial  and femoral  arteries. This individual sounded like he was severely  hypothermic. Very lucky there were people around to help. I know I would be hardpressed to even consider pulling someone out of the water in my solo pack canoe as I would likely flip it in the effort. First rule of first aid is "do not place self in danger". This is a reminder for me to get off the water when conditions are bad. I've  been stubborn in the past. Glad things worked out for this tripper.

"Anyone can make love in a canoe, it's a Canadian who knows enough to take out the centre thwart!        Bahahaha!
                                                                      - Philip Chester

5/27/2016 7:22 pm  #3

I was discussing a similar topic last weekend - carrying a small pack when I'm doubling a longer portage. I think it's a symptom of getting older. Besides the usual, my FAK has a locator beacon, a couple energy bars, fire starter (diethylene glycol), water purification tabs, reflective blanket, rope, and a small knife.

And as kelly says, a wilderness first aid course is a great thing for everyone.

5/29/2016 7:59 am  #4

I carry this in my left cargo pocket of my pants. The right cargo pocket has a SOL emergency  bivy.  Gives me some peace  of mind should I need it. I have added aqua tabs to the survival kit and some electrolyte powder.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/8Km6g3nS0K8?wmode=transparent&rel=0

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.