You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/28/2016 6:11 am  #1

InReach - weather

So in reactiving  my inReach last night as well as syncing and downloading the latest firmware I noticed that starting next month it will support weather forecasts of various detail levels.  Helps take the sting out of the recent price increase as basic weather forecasts will be included.

The bad news is the firmware upgrade froze my device. After an hour online with tech support he is shipping me out a brand new device today. So good news actually as my device is out of warranty.

Weather feature details are below for those that are interested.

COMING SOON: WEATHER FORECASTS!

This feature will be available in May 2016

Get weather forecasts sent directly to your inReach or Earthmate App

inReach forecasts deliver weather details directly to your inReach, giving you the information you need to make educated decisions and stay safe on your adventure. Request weather forecasts for your current location, for a specific waypoint, or by manually entering coordinates. All forecasts are based on OCENS weather data.

Basic:

The Basic forecast includes temperature, precipitation, wind speed and direction, and atmospheric pressure details for three days in six-hour intervals. Each forecast counts as one text message against your data plan.

Each forecast counts as one text message against your data plan.

Premium (Non-marine):

The Premium forecast includes temperature, precipitation, wind speed and direction, and atmospheric pressure details for seven days. The first 24 hours include one-hour forecasts, the second 24 hours include three-hour forecasts, the third 24 hours include six-hour forecasts, and the remaining four days include 12-hour forecasts. Additional charges apply, see cost details below. One-hour intervals not available outside of North America.

Each forecast counts as one text message and costs $1.49 per request.

Premium (Marine):

In addition to the details of the Premium forecast, the Marine feature also includes wave height, current, and visibility details. Additional charges apply, see cost details below.

Each forecast counts as one text message and costs $1.49 per request

Last edited by ShawnD (4/28/2016 6:12 am)

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

4/28/2016 10:15 am  #2

Re: InReach - weather

Hey Shawn,

Thanks for the update, very interesting. 

There is already a weather service that can be used with the inReach, it's quite good with a lot of information. Free, except for the message costs. You can even request a forecast at any time with the inReach, or set it up for daily messages. 

http://wx2inreach.weebly.com/details.html

Cheers,

Last edited by Marko_Mrko (4/28/2016 10:15 am)

5/09/2016 9:52 am  #3

That's awesome, was a little bummed out about the price increase but this does ease the sting a little.  Last year I was making my GF text me the weather each morning, so this will make life a little easier this year

5/17/2016 4:32 pm  #4

Used the feature a couple of times on my trip earlier this month. Great detail and the forecasts were bang on.

Said it was going to start raining at 2 pm the day we were leaving and it started raining at 2:01pm.

Last edited by ShawnD (5/17/2016 8:28 pm)

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.