You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/14/2016 8:11 pm  #1

Leave No Trace

Over on Paddling Adventures Radio .. http://www.paddlingadventuresradio.com  .. Sean and Derek featured a half-hour review of the Leave No Trace principles. If you want a refresher on LNT, head on over to the podcast of their April 27th broadcast .. http://www.paddlingadventuresradio.com/pastshows/PadAdvRad%20Episode%2011.mp3

5/14/2016 9:46 pm  #2

Re: Leave No Trace

Thanks for the link Barry. Very enjoyable listen and a subject all of us are passionate about and can appreciate. Just wish the message could get to the masses.

"Anyone can make love in a canoe, it's a Canadian who knows enough to take out the centre thwart!        Bahahaha!
                                                                      - Philip Chester

5/16/2016 4:25 pm  #3

Thanks for posting that podcast.  I haven't gone through it yet, but look forward to it.  We just returned from a Rock-Pen-Welcome-Harry area this past weekend, with base-camp set up on the north beach site on Welcome.  We were surprised at the numerous bits of trash and forgotten items on the site already this spring.  We found a Coke beverage glass, broken fishing rod, large empty plastic bottle, and numerous little bits of trash.  We dragged it all out with us, and the coke glass ended up breaking inside a pack during the trip.  There was also a pile of empty beer cans at the Pen end of the portage into Galipo River.  I intended to grab those on the way out, but forgot until well on our way up Pen.

5/16/2016 7:58 pm  #4

I also spent half an hour cleaning up after a group of slobs on a beautiful site on Misty last week.  I just don't get it.  Why would anyone choose to camp in a garbage dump?  Why not go somewhere more populated and less pristine if you don't care about ambience?

5/17/2016 9:30 am  #5

Shawn - I agree.  We thought the paddling and portaging to get to Welcome would filter out those that would pack glassware in their kit!
Oh, and on a side-note, thanks so much for posting those awesome videos.  Our camping gang watched your Killarney videos before our 7-day loop in that park last summer, and to get primed for this recent trip we watched you pull out a huge Brookie in one of your Algonquin vids.  We caught a few as well this past trip, but only one broke the 14" mark, and not near the size of that monster!

5/17/2016 10:24 am  #6

renns wrote:

Shawn - I agree.  We thought the paddling and portaging to get to Welcome would filter out those that would pack glassware in their kit!
Oh, and on a side-note, thanks so much for posting those awesome videos.  Our camping gang watched your Killarney videos before our 7-day loop in that park last summer, and to get primed for this recent trip we watched you pull out a huge Brookie in one of your Algonquin vids.  We caught a few as well this past trip, but only one broke the 14" mark, and not near the size of that monster!

It's a shame.
Thanks for the comment on the videos, I appreciate that.  It's funny, I'm uploading day 1 of my recent trip right now and it's inspiring me to get out again myself. I may even go this Thursday for a couple of days. 

5/22/2016 8:00 am  #7

The worst scene I've encountered was last spring at Highview Cabin, looked like a mess left over from the fall, They'd burned all the cabin chairs, the broom, basically anything that wasn't nailed down.  They were careful though NOT to burn or take out any of the 80 or so beer cans which were left all over the site, they also left the coolers they used to bring in the beer in garbage bags behind the cabin.....

5/28/2016 8:54 pm  #8

Kurt wrote:

The worst scene I've encountered was last spring at Highview Cabin, looked like a mess left over from the fall, They'd burned all the cabin chairs, the broom, basically anything that wasn't nailed down.  They were careful though NOT to burn or take out any of the 80 or so beer cans which were left all over the site, they also left the coolers they used to bring in the beer in garbage bags behind the cabin.....

That's an absolute shame. There are some really shitty people in this world.

I guess to look on the bright side, they didn't burn the cabin itself down?

7/04/2016 7:49 pm  #9

It's such a shame when folks show such a lack of respect.  Last year, I cleaned up a significant mess on an island site on McIntosh Lake.  There was, amongst many other things, a significant amount of half-charred garbage in the fire pit, including plastic bottles containing BBQ sauce and a fair amount of meat.  In trying to incinerate the burnable bits, I ended up making the whole campsite--and probably some of my kit--smelling like cooking meat.  ​I returned to the same fine site a few weeks ago, and fortunately, it was in great shape.  Unfortunately though, the next day I had to clean up my site on Daisy!  I suppose this problem has always existed, but it is still infuriating to encounter.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.