You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/10/2016 8:28 am  #18

Re: Bug Report

Just off a 5 day trip. Mosquitoes were around for a brief bit in the evening, but our overnight temps were low enough that they went away quickly. I didn't see any black flies.

5/10/2016 10:34 am  #19

Hey Chris,

Tim lake access road is in great shape. no issues.

Have Fun.

Shawn

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

5/10/2016 10:44 am  #20

Awesome, Thanks Shawn! Looking forward to getting out of the city.

5/13/2016 10:12 am  #21

Came off the Highland trail yesterday, Lots of gnats on Provoking, as in swallowed a few just walking around. But that's usual for that lake. Few mosquitoes and the ones that are around are sleepy dumb. Didn't see any black flies yet.

5/13/2016 12:54 pm  #22

spicol wrote:

Came off the Highland trail yesterday, Lots of gnats on Provoking, as in swallowed a few just walking around. But that's usual for that lake. Few mosquitoes and the ones that are around are sleepy dumb. Didn't see any black flies yet.

You stayed on Provoking? I met someone going in Solo for a single night all the way to Harness Lake Wednesday morning.

5/13/2016 1:22 pm  #23

Stayed on Booth Lake on the 9th, Shirley on the 10th and McKaskill on the 11th. Few bugs around (some swarms while out on the water), none biting. But with the warm temps it won't be long. 

5/13/2016 2:34 pm  #24

token wrote:

You stayed on Provoking? I met someone going in Solo for a single night all the way to Harness Lake Wednesday morning.

I was in Monday and out Thursday. Didn't see that guy but he's a trooper if he did that I stayed at Faya for 2 nights and then Provoking for 1. Didn't do either loop fully, was content to day hike and lounge. I suppose I should do a trip report!

5/14/2016 5:01 pm  #25

I noticed the next few nights have lows of 1 and 2 degrees, would this help "postpone" the bugs for a little bit?   Going into daisy with my wife on Thursday and she has some concerns about the bugs.

5/14/2016 5:12 pm  #26

Just got back this afternoon, the mosquitos are out in the evening for an hour or so, I got my first blackfly bite Thursday but there weren't really many around. On Opeongo last night (Friday) the blackflies were pretty thick for a while in the evening but only briefly. I think they will be in full force over the next week I would plan for blackflies for sure on Thursday.

5/14/2016 8:01 pm  #27

Along HWY 60 and up to maple leaf this week.  Some mosquitoes at dusk but not much biting.  Black flies were also out in the day but I didn't notice any bites.

I'm sure the long weekend will see the bugs celebrating.

5/15/2016 9:52 pm  #28

There's a frost warning for much of the park tonight, anyone have any thoughts about whether that will set the bugs back a bit?

5/16/2016 6:52 am  #29

I don't know about setting them back but it is still pretty cold on the south-east corner of the park so I do not anticipate the swarms until it warms up a bit.

5/16/2016 6:56 am  #30

nope, i doubt it,, i think we need a deep prolonged weather event, for the  frosting to have any effects on da bugs.
  i have been in northern ontario  in oct. moose hunting with the black flies out  on most sunny warm days, after a nights of frost!! seems to make no difference.
  bug suit, bug hat, gloves, and a dining tent will keep ya happy. and plenty of vitamin B1 in your system too.
      the trout fish`n is the best when the bugs are the worst.  just say`n

Last edited by swedish pimple (5/16/2016 6:57 am)

5/16/2016 9:19 am  #31

Was on Harness lk from may 9-15. Few mosquitos around but not biting.
Bunch of flying ants or something in evenings but not biting either. Didnt see any black flies at all.

5/16/2016 10:07 am  #32

Frost just sends the black flies to hide under some leaf litter on the forest floor. They come right back out when they thaw out. 

I inhaled a couple black flies on Thursday but didn't see any bugs from Friday through Sunday.

With the forecast for this week they should be out in full force for the long weekend. 

5/16/2016 1:44 pm  #33

Sweet. Heading up Thursday.  Bring em  on!

5/16/2016 2:51 pm  #34

Heading in this weekend too.

Spraying my clothes etc with Permethrin for the first time this week.Curious to see how it works on holding them off.

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.