You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/04/2016 12:08 pm  #1

Best backcountry campsites with canoe

Hi !

I plan to stay 3 days (2 nights) in Algonquin in middle of June with 2 young friends.

I have seen that I have to reserve in advance the area where we plan to go but we've never been there.

To your mind, what are the best backcountry campsites area in Algoquin with a canoe ? Where there are the more impressive landscapes !

Many thanks,
Mathieu

5/04/2016 12:32 pm  #2

Re: Best backcountry campsites with canoe

Hi Mathieu, 

If you get ten answers you'll get twelve opinions

My answer is that all of Algonquin is beautiful, but with only two nights and young friends you're not going to get far into the park. And in mid-June your priority might be finding a wind exposed campsite to keep the bugs down over one that offers a good view. 

That being said, with only two nights to play with I'd take the Opeongo water taxi to the Proulx portage, then paddle your way to Big Crow and set up camp. Hike the trail behind the ranger cabin up to the old fire tower and enjoy the amazing view from the cliff's edge. 

5/04/2016 12:46 pm  #3

Hi Uppa,

Perfect, this is exactly the kind of suggestion and feed back I need =)

It's always better to have the point of view from someone who knows the place !

5/04/2016 12:56 pm  #4

I think Uppa underestimated. More like 10 replies = 40 answers. :-)

Where are you coming from?
Do you have your own canoe(s) or are you renting?
Fishing?
Looking for a relaxing trip or looking to cover as much ground/water as possible?
How young is young? 10 and under? teenagers? under 30? 40? You get the idea
Experience canoe trippers or novice paddlers?

Other than running the Petawawa in June, any of the Algonquin trips I have written up here: Algonquin Canoe Trips could be done as a 2 day trip. Actually, if you are experience whitewater paddlers and have your own gear then the lower Pet could be done in 2 days too. 

5/04/2016 1:11 pm  #5

We will come from Montreal and then after Algoquin we will move to Toronto.
No we don't have canoes we will rent it. we just have the camping stuff.
Fishing ? not on schedule but why not.
We are 25 years old
Not experience canoe trippers but not novice too =) Let's say in the middle !

5/04/2016 2:02 pm  #6

Coming from Montreal and continuing on to Toronto, then options along Hwy 60 make sense. A good option that will be less busy than the 'corridor' would be the Shall Lake access point and then either heading up to Booth Lake or around to Shirley Lake. A busier option but another great first Algonquin trip is starting from Rock Lake access point and heading south into Pen Lake with a day trip to Clydegale, Gem or Welcome lakes. 

If you want a 2 night loop, then Canoe Lake is actually a pretty good starting point with rentals right there and you can head north and loop up through Sunbeam and back in 2 days. 

5/04/2016 2:09 pm  #7

Thanks Rob, I will look at it !
Do I need to reserve the campsites on this link then : https://reservations.ontarioparks.com/OntarioParks?Map ?

5/04/2016 2:16 pm  #8

You book a lake, not a specific camp site but yes - that link will get you there. Or you can call 1-888-668-7275

They'll want to know your access point for starters, so make sure you know the answer!

5/04/2016 2:18 pm  #9

Oki.
yes that's why I ask you some advice to know the place where to go because that's so huge !

5/04/2016 4:52 pm  #10

"impressive landscapes"....

Last edited by Barbara (5/04/2016 4:53 pm)

Take everything as it comes; the wave passes, deal with the next one.

Tom Thomson, 1877-1917

5/04/2016 5:42 pm  #11

cool =)
That's the reason I post this topic to find such mice places during my stay !

5/04/2016 5:53 pm  #12

RobW wrote:

Coming from Montreal and continuing on to Toronto, then options along Hwy 60 make sense.
If you want a 2 night loop, then Canoe Lake is actually a pretty good starting point with rentals right there and you can head north and loop up through Sunbeam and back in 2 days. 

I agree the best bet is sticking to the Hwy 60 corridor and renting from Canoe Lake. An alternative to heading north, however, is to head south into Smoke Lake (just across the road) and onward to Ragged Lake or Parkside Bay. I often suggest this location to first timers to the Park: Beautiful, lots of great sites, other trippers around should you need help but not so close or in numbers to stop you from enjoying yourself and a little less busy than the northern route.

Last edited by Algonquintripper (5/04/2016 5:53 pm)

Dave

5/11/2016 9:17 pm  #13

Myself from Montréal, I want to hit the water quickly and without fuss after the 6-hours drive to get to Algonquin  

The Canoe Lake access is a good suggestion because there is no side trip to do before getting on the water: parking, permit office, canoe rental, go! The Smoke Lake to Ragged/Parkside trip (parking 1 km due South of Canoe Lake) is a good alternative as I find that the wind is always present to keep the bugs quiet.

Any of these two easy trips will teach you good bearings on how to plan and what to expect for longer, more adventurous trips into the interior in the future.

Amusez-vous bien et pensez sécurité!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.