You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/25/2016 2:36 pm  #154

Re: Are predictions for ice-out starting yet?

That shot of Opeongo is encouraging.  At least I know I'll be able to paddle across and get into Little Minnow for some fishing this weekend.  That is unless the wind shifts and shoves the ice back into the bay.

Onthemoon, not sure where you are in Muskoka but we didn't get any of that in Huntsville today. Let's hope the Park didn't either.

Last edited by Tripper (4/25/2016 2:37 pm)

www.algonquinvoyageur.blogspot.ca
'...a man is part of his canoe and therefore part of all it knows. The instant he dips a paddle he flows as it flows.’ Sigurd Olson

4/25/2016 3:22 pm  #155

Just outside of Bala. Snowed enough to cover the ground and since has turned to ice pellets, even though the temp is a balmy +1. Glad to here you didn't get it on your side of Muskoka. Judging by the radar it has stayed south of you. Here's to hoping for a better rest of the week.

4/25/2016 5:08 pm  #156

I agree re. the Opeongo pic. Also the newest photo of Lake of Two Rivers on the AP Ice Out page--looks like all it needs is a decent wind to break it up!

4/25/2016 5:35 pm  #157

For those of you who have followed this in previous years, if they decide to push the date back further than the 28th, how long will they likely wait before announcing it? My current plan is to paddle up the Tim River to Devine Lake starting on the 28th, but that is looking like it might not be possible with the ice.

4/25/2016 5:38 pm  #158

RCShevalier wrote:

For those of you who have followed this in previous years, if they decide to push the date back further than the 28th, how long will they likely wait before announcing it? My current plan is to paddle up the Tim River to Devine Lake starting on the 28th, but that is looking like it might not be possible with the ice.

There isn't really any past experience to go by. The pre-ice out shut-downs have only been going on for something like 3 years, and in every case the opening date ended up being moved forward, not back.

4/25/2016 6:57 pm  #159

I think ice out will be sometime later this week.  Here in Huntsville Cann Lake by the Summit Centre went out on April 22 in 2015 and ice out in the Park was May 1 or 2.  This year Cann Lake went out on the 17th so in theory ice out in the Park should be sometime between the 27th and 29th. Hopefully 

www.algonquinvoyageur.blogspot.ca
'...a man is part of his canoe and therefore part of all it knows. The instant he dips a paddle he flows as it flows.’ Sigurd Olson

4/25/2016 11:46 pm  #160

Just booked Lk Loiusa for Apr 30- May 2. Keeping my fingers crossed for ice out and sunshine. Getting the gear and canoe out tomorrow. Keeping a positive outlook. Who hoo! Algonquin here I come 😄

"Anyone can make love in a canoe, it's a Canadian who knows enough to take out the centre thwart!        Bahahaha!
                                                                      - Philip Chester

4/26/2016 5:56 am  #161

kellycamps wrote:

Just booked Lk Loiusa for Apr 30- May 2. Keeping my fingers crossed for ice out and sunshine. Getting the gear and canoe out tomorrow. Keeping a positive outlook. Who hoo! Algonquin here I come 😄

I'll be on Louisa May 2  - If you see someone paddling in a brown kayak That's Me! 

still checking here and the algonquin page several times a day for updates on ice conditions. 

4/26/2016 7:34 am  #162

I can officially confirm as of 8am this morning it would definitely be possible to fish for trout from a canoe on kiosk lake. Basically the lake looks to be completely open East from the campground. Camping along the northern campsites would 100% be possible

4/26/2016 7:41 am  #163

Interesting and encouraging! I imagine that includes straight south towards the manitou portages as thats where the major flow comes in. Any pics?

Thanks,

Moonman.

4/26/2016 8:38 am  #164

The main body of water going South is still ice covered. There is a very large open section where the Amable du Fond flows out from the lake though. Basically if you were to draw a straight line from the picture of the trailer just east of the access point straight across to the picture of the boat a little bit South East on Jeff's map anything to the East of that line is open water.
From the looks of things you could probaly manage to paddle the whole way to the Mink Lake portage and I would assume because Mink lake is narrow for the most part it is probably ice free?

Last edited by token (4/26/2016 8:41 am)

4/26/2016 9:49 am  #165

Friends of Algonquin page has updated a few images from yesterday, Brewer still completely iced over (although looking awfully weak), I can't get any kind of confidence that this weekend will or won't be a go still.

Holding a reservation for Fork Lake (at least I can see its open!) Friday morning, and haven't heard from the park yet, so still hopeful permits will be issued . . . even if on a limited basis.

I'm guessing Mew lake campground is going to be awfully crowded otherwise =)

4/26/2016 10:39 am  #166

Ice conditions are one thing...road conditions are the deciding factor, though.  If you can't get to it, it doesn't matter if it's ice-free or not.

I remember when the satellite images showed Lake Simcoe as very dark, and the assumption was that the ice was gone.  Wrong.  The lake still had serious ice coverage until a long time after that image.

Barbara

Take everything as it comes; the wave passes, deal with the next one.

Tom Thomson, 1877-1917

4/26/2016 11:45 am  #167

very true about roads, many will be a mess

my slim optimism is based on the fact at least I know hwy 60 is open ! =)

4/26/2016 12:57 pm  #168

I was at my buddies Cottage on Aylen Lake.  On the Friday getting up there I couldn't believe the amount of snow in the woods and the ice on the lake.  It was tight to shore, but a lot of day time melt accumulating.  There was a lot of "pancaking" to the thick midwater ice.  By Sunday, the ice was off from the shore or VERY dark and the lake ice as a whole had turned quite dark.  I would say it's at least 7 days away unless a big blow comes.
Fingers crossed for you early birds!

4/26/2016 1:20 pm  #169

I think I'm more or less resigned to the fact that my camping trip is getting pushed back. Fortunately that's not a problem for me - I can adjust my vacation dates at work no problem. But as this is my wife's very first mother's day, I've been told in no uncertain terms that I'd better not be camping on May 8th. So if I want to stick with my 5-day trip, Tuesday is as far as I'm willing to bend. 

You hear me Algonquin? I'm putting my foot down here: melt by Tuesday or I'm dumping you.

4/26/2016 1:27 pm  #170

My parents went up for a drive through the corridor on Sunday.  Mum asked about Rock Lake since we have reservations there for this coming weekend.  She was told they sent the guy in to set up the computers but that they couldn't drive in…had to take him in on snowmobile… Then this morning she sends me a picture of their front lawn that's completely snow covered again (Haliburton)

Fingers crossed for a few days of good sun and temps.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.