You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/23/2016 2:04 pm  #137

Re: Are predictions for ice-out starting yet?

Today's image:

4/23/2016 2:47 pm  #138

Looking at the map I think Sec lake might be ice free??? I wonder if it is if you could get a permit?

hmm

4/23/2016 4:34 pm  #139

Lake Travers, McManus and the Barron River too... though I wonder what the road in is like right now.

4/23/2016 5:02 pm  #140

token wrote:

Looking at the map I think Sec lake might be ice free??? I wonder if it is if you could get a permit?

hmm

Getting a permit for ice free areas will be the big question...I think there is a good possibility you will see somewhat smaller access lakes like smoke and canoe go out in the next 3-4 days...but Opeongo, maybe not till next weekend or so. So say Canoe is clear on Tuesday...but Opeongo still is blocked by ice up to Happy Isle etc, do they open up Canoe and Smoke? Same as the Magnettawan/Rain lake area, Sec as mentioned above. In years past we would change destinations according to ice conditions if need be. Most people cannot change days off this close to their trip, but you would change lakes accordingly. So we wait and see. But hey, if all lakes are still ice covered till next weekend, moot point.

Moonman.

4/24/2016 12:41 pm  #141

token wrote:

hmm

there's no trout in Sec!

4/24/2016 1:57 pm  #142

71 wrote:

token wrote:

hmm

there's no trout in Sec!

Id be so excited to be in my canoe I'd just paddle around Sec Lake all day!

4/24/2016 2:56 pm  #143

Today's Image:
(Significant meltage in all areas, even compared to yesterday's image)

4/24/2016 6:08 pm  #144

keep it coming...hoping for a big week!

4/24/2016 6:12 pm  #145

they typically do a "flyover" before opening things up....I haven heard anything of this yet...anyone else?

4/25/2016 6:10 am  #146

Okay, now that I've been proven wrong (so much for the 25th) I'm starting to panic for things being fully open by Friday. I agree the sat images show progress daily but will it be enough? Double digit highs and above-freezing overnight temps would be nice and I'm not seeing that anywhere in the forecast. Hopefully we'll learn plans for the flyover in the next couple of days--assuming they're sticking with the 28th as the 'opening date'.

4/25/2016 6:19 am  #147

Thanks for the updated image Peek, is it just me or is there open water on the north-west side of Lavieille and the south end of Opeongo? Looks like this week is going to be a nail biter.

4/25/2016 6:23 am  #148

I'm still wondering if Things will open up for next Monday may 2.

I can change my itinerary- but not my days off. 

I'm just watching ice out and hoping a few days of sun open things up!  I really want to do a kayak trip

My backup plan is hiking - but looks like Algonquin hiking trails may be closed due to flooding - I might end up in Killarney- luckily the la cloche trail doesn't take reservations until May 5 - so if I go for a few days ( may 2-3-4 ) I should be able to get the sites I want . First come first serve - can't imagine Monday being too busy

4/25/2016 6:33 am  #149

ahubbs wrote:

Looks like this week is going to be a nail biter.

No kidding. I'm booked in AP from Saturday to Tuesday and the lake I reserved still has ice.. 

We'll see. As I've said to others and my canoeing partner - we'll be canoeing somewhere this weekend for sure - just a matter of where?

4/25/2016 7:29 am  #150

Looking forward to seeing an update from the park today with new pictures, the ones they have up now are from last wednesday. Also would be nice to get an indication of if they will be opening any ice free areas, before some others that are not open. Some areas on the south and east periphery look just about open right now.....

Moonman.

4/25/2016 8:50 am  #151

It is considerably warmer this week in Kangerlussuaq, Greenland than it is in Algonquin Park!

4/25/2016 9:09 am  #152

Someone posted this on Facebook yesterday, saying "Opeongo, this afternoon". 

4/25/2016 10:42 am  #153

I have a reservation for the park interior this week end as well. Snowing quite heavily in Muskoka this morning. A little discouraging. D

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.