You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/15/2016 11:36 am  #1

Rock - Louisa - Pen - May 2 in a Kayak !

Heading to the park May 2-3-4 for a few days early spring camping ! 
Access at Rock -- paddle to Louisa 1st night -- Pen 2nd night -- exit at rock day 3 

I'm getting a little worried about ice out - should I be?

I'm more of a hiker than a paddler but I like to challenge myself (I hiked la Cloche in 3 days last year and did a trip to Killarney in the kayak did a double carry that one  ) 
I'm using a 10' kayak and can now single carry - just finishing my yoke this weekend. 

other than the Pictographs on Rock - anything else I should check out in that section? 

Also - just putting it out there - if anyone wants to join along,  let me know 

4/15/2016 12:20 pm  #2

Re: Rock - Louisa - Pen - May 2 in a Kayak !

I think we will be fine for Ice out by May. Have you seen all the Trip Reports by Uppa? He's almost convinced me to try a kayak trip, but then I remember I haven't paddled in 5 months and I'd try paddling a bathtub at this point! Seriously though, His trip reports are very well done.

4/15/2016 12:44 pm  #3

I'm impressed you're going to paddle from Rock to Louisa - are you expecting the portage to be flooded?  Joking aside, I'm also impressed you have room for your gear in a 10' kayak. Just a rear hatch I'm thinking yeah? Are you latching stuff onto the top or are you an ultra-minimalist? 

The yoke will definitely make your life easier. My design or something you cooked up yourself? 

@holycow: Dooooo ittttt. Come to the dark side. Also, thanks for the kind words!

Last edited by Uppa (4/15/2016 1:06 pm)

4/15/2016 4:02 pm  #4

That's a nice trip you have planned.  I would think the ice would be out at least a couple days before.  Personally I can't see it lasting two more weeks of this weather. 

As far as checking areas out the Galipo river just upstream of Pen has some pretty cool falls sections.  Welcome has some very nice beach spots and unique campsites.  All lakes through that area have good fishing if you are into that (watch special regs on Rence / Harry / Welcome).   You may be a bit early but we have always seen lots of moose in that area as well.

Enjoy the trip and be safe.  Water will be very cool and you have some sizeable lakes to travel especially if you get out into the open.

Jon P

4/18/2016 8:56 am  #5

If you're up for a side trip, there is a marshy section at the south end of clydegale (just one portage south of Pen) where the Madawaska enters the lake. Apparently, it's a good spot to see moose (I've only been once and did not see any). Even without a moose spotting, it's fun to paddle into the river a bit to explore the marshy area. We met a beaver and her baby within a few mins of entering the area (we gave them lots of space once the mom slapped her tail to let us know they were there).

Enjoy!

4/20/2016 6:11 am  #6

@holycow - I haven't paddled since September, however I'm more of a backpacker than paddler so this should be another interesting / challenging trip - but I did keep my estimated travel times to 3-5 hours per day - when I did killarney I had days I knew were going to be 8-9 hours of hiking right off the start - and ended up going further and did 11 hours ( about 33KM in a day ) 

@Uppa - aren't the red lines a lazy river that gently floats your kayak downstream as you enjoy a frosty cold beer?  oh wait .......  I do have a little portaging to do    7.8KM of it !  for the yoke I saw your video
For the yoke - I'm going to use 2 canoe blocks and a canoe yoke - bolt/ziptie the blocks to the yoke - then use a strap to attach all to Kayak. I've used a dowel lashed to the boat and that worked OK - 
I did look at the kayoke - it's very nice and on the list of gear to get for a future trip. 

for packing my gear in kayak - I'm not ultralight but close - my base weight for backpacking is 12-14lbs, for the kayak it had a tiny rear hatch that could fit a water bottle. I cut it out with the dremel and have access to the entire hull behind the seat -
it's not water tight but easily fits 2x10l dry sacks and an 8l dry sac and a few other items ( saw / axe / hiking boots ) I have a 20l backpack with stuff that doesn't have to stay dry ( water filter/fuel bottles/ cook kit/ tarp / ) that fits in the nose 

@jonp - I'll definitely scope the sites on welcome for a future trip - I almost stayed there the 2nd night but decided to make day 2 the long travel day and day 3 a little easier . As for moose - I've luckly seen lots! My 1st july trip we saw 5, second july trip saw 3 and one was less the 15 metres from us !  

@canoeclair - A side trip to clydegale is tempting - I'll see how I'm feeling and my timing on day 3 - I might be up for a few extra hours in the park ! 

Last edited by Lofty (4/20/2016 6:12 am)

4/20/2016 9:30 am  #7

Looks like you should be fine based on the latest Ice Out Report.

http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/news/ice-out.php

Looks like a great trip!

4/22/2016 8:36 am  #8

We did the Rock-Louisa portage right after ice out in2012. Be prepared as you may be the first over. We did have a saw.. We were glad we did.

4/22/2016 10:00 am  #9

kayamedic wrote:

We did the Rock-Louisa portage right after ice out in2012. Be prepared as you may be the first over. We did have a saw.. We were glad we did.

thanks - I always have a saw - and more than likely an axe too

now just need  to get news about ice out from algonquin!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.