You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/21/2016 7:40 am  #1

drops vs crystals - water flavouring

I'm curious about experience with the pros and cons of using flavour drops vs drink crystals for providing variety to drinking water.

Is there a significant difference in liters of water flavoured per weight/bulk?
The drops seem more susceptible to spillage/leakage, but does that bear out in use?

Which format is best (better?) ,
and which brand(s) are best (better?)
I try to avoid sugar, but don't mind artificial sweeteners.

4/21/2016 8:36 am  #2

Re: drops vs crystals - water flavouring

Drops are far more convenient to use imo. Filter your water, add a few drops for flavouring and you're done. The containers that they come in are generally pretty robust and don't leak. If you are concerned about leakage, throw them in ziploc. With drink crystals, you need to worry about the packets staying dry and not damaging them during transport. Plus, the tiny packets are annoying to have to worry about when you have to discard them.

I do extensively use the individualized packets for sports, but that's because I'm using electrolye-based mixes. 

As for what brands are best, it's hard to go wrong with any of them. There are so many out there. It's best to try out for yourself. Do know that flavouring mixes are not the same as the electrolyte-loaded mixes. The latter costs significantly more....

4/21/2016 4:32 pm  #3

Thanks, i have used the drops, but most trip reports and beverage discussions talk only about crystals, so I wanted to check if I was missing something.

I guess thidividual packets do make it easier to ration over a longer period, and get more variety during a trip.

4/21/2016 6:07 pm  #4

Its all about the mio drops small compact and you can add a little or add alot

4/22/2016 11:37 am  #5

I use the drops too. It's convenient to just squirt the flavouring into my water and not have to worry about individual packets that create more garbage. I see so many of those left behind at campsites.

www.wabooseadventures.com 

Photographer | Blogger | Outdoors Woman | Canoeing | Camping | Hiking | Connecting with Nature | Landscape, Nature, and Wildlife Photography

4/22/2016 9:17 pm  #6

We have generally used crystals on canoe trips (I buy it in bulk and put it in an old peanut butter jar) but the drops have become my favourite on backpacking trips.  I just saw that kool aid is now doing 'water enhancers'.  I'll be giving that a test run.  It seems to me the drops are much less fuss...squirt and go (kinda yummy at the end of the day with something from the flask).

4/23/2016 9:27 am  #7

What's wrong with water?

I usually bring some Tang so as to get some vitamin C but other than that, water works for me. The less sugar you ingest the better.

Dave

4/24/2016 4:26 pm  #8

About 30 years ago I brought along pouches of Tang.  It tasted fine, but each pouch weighed about  a quarter pound!  Then I switched to Crystal Light which I was happy with.  As other posters have mentioned, the empty packets were a bit of a pain in the neck to ensure you disposed of them properly, but no big deal.  In the last couple of years I've switched to drops, initially because I found fewer single serve crystal packets available.  I found that I actually prefer the drops because of the convenience.  Main reason for using this stuff is to have some flavour.  I normally drink tons of tap water at home, but prefer to "kick it up a notch" while tripping.

Not all those who wander are lost.

j.r.r. tolkien

4/25/2016 10:38 am  #9

I have always used crystals until last season, got on to the drops. way more convenient and way less mess if things get damp. D

4/25/2016 7:13 pm  #10

The park is peppered with springs bubbling to the surface, usually along well worn portages, the water's better tasting than evian, try it sometime!

4/25/2016 9:00 pm  #11

lots has to do with personal taste.  I find the drops way too sweet and some brands of lemon crystals just right. I like lemon in my water for variety at home and in camp. My water at home is on the same aquifer as a commercially bottled water. Its quite good.  Well water for the last 50 years

4/26/2016 11:30 am  #12

Algonquintripper wrote:

What's wrong with water?

I only use the drops to flavour my water and vodka's. I drink straight up filtered water the rest of the time (no enhancers).

www.wabooseadventures.com 

Photographer | Blogger | Outdoors Woman | Canoeing | Camping | Hiking | Connecting with Nature | Landscape, Nature, and Wildlife Photography

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.