You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/20/2015 10:15 pm  #1

Pats backcountry beverages.

Anyone tried this system? And any of the beverages it offers? Sounds like the beer falls short but the sodas sound good.  And I do enjoy a decent rye and ginger around the campfire.

Saw them at AO on the weekend. Looked interesting.

http://gearpatrol.com/2014/09/05/review-pats-backcountry-beverages/

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

10/21/2015 5:32 am  #2

Re: Pats backcountry beverages.

I emailed them a little while back and they told me they could not ship the beer mix to Canada yet but would soon.  You can buy this system here now? Did they have the beer mix at AO also? Watching one of Ian Young's videos on you tube he did a bit of a review on it. I've wanted one since but was told there is no distributer in Canada.

10/21/2015 6:28 am  #3

It was at the AO oxtongue location. Pretty sure they had 2 left and that was on Fri. Didn't see a lot of mixes there. The unit comes with 8 I think. Looks like they may have sold a few units already. I would just give them a call.

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.

4/17/2016 7:26 am  #4

I tried Pat’s system 2 years ago when a friend brought me a supply from the US.  I took it into Algonquin Park, for our spring fishing trip.  The Pale Ale received very favourable reviews from the group.  Reviews of the Black Hops were mixed.  Since then I've tried their soft drinks and found them to be a good substitute for carbonated canned or bottled drinks, and much better than powdered drinks.  The soft drink supplies I purchased at Algonquin Outfitters.
I had an email exchange with Pat’s recently and was told their beer is now available in Alberta and BC.  They are hoping for approval to distribute through the LCBO in Ontario, but indicated it’s slow process.  They've also added a Lager to their beer mixes.  
This year supply of beverages is ready to pack.  Just waiting for the ice to melt and the Park to open.  
Cheers.

4/17/2016 11:22 am  #5

I had a friend pick me up a system a few years back from the US, with the beer packs. It's a little tricky at first to figure out the carbonation technique. The beer was pretty good, as a bonus, you can use the bottle as a water bottle to cut down on weight. Since the beer is concentrated alcohol you will have to wait until the LCBO carries it or make a trip southward.

Jeremy Bessey
Editor of the Word Around the Campfire
Stoking the Flames of Adventure

4/23/2016 7:34 am  #6

I've been dying to give their beers a try. There's nothing I'd love more than to have a beer in the back country but since beer comes in cans or glass bottles I never get the opportunity. When Pat's shows up in the LCBO or Beer Store I'll definitely be giving them a test run. 

4/23/2016 4:01 pm  #7

I picked up 1/2 dozen plastic beer bottles with reusable caps from my local ubrew When weight isn't an issue I transfers a few over of my favourite beers.

Make sure to pour slowly. Don't create any head. Works fine.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.