You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/12/2016 8:25 am  #1

Welcome Lake- Come in via Rock or try it from Whitney?

I was perusing my canoe map and realized that in addition to the more commonly traveled route to Welcome Lake using the Rock Lake put in, travel through Pen and then the long portage there appears to be an alternate route which entails putting in at Whitney - Galeiary- Night to Pen to Welcome. 

We will be traveling from Peterborough. Has anyone done the Whitney (access 13 route). I think it may cut off about an hour of driving time, however it does add a 1600m portage into the mix. Which routing is most efficient/recommended? 

Thanks in advance!

4/12/2016 10:36 am  #2

Re: Welcome Lake- Come in via Rock or try it from Whitney?

I think you still need to drive in to the east gate to get your permits. So does the extra drive there and back factor your decision?

4/12/2016 10:46 am  #3

Re: Welcome Lake- Come in via Rock or try it from Whitney?

We always do Welcome Lake as a loop starting at Rock Lake.   First night on Louisa, second night on Welcome Lake and then back to Rock Lake via Pen.  Louisa is a beautiful lake with lots of nice campsites so we do have a preference for routes that take us through there.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.