You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/26/2015 8:02 am  #1

Cart rental and cart path

Hey all, a couple questions for you. Has anyone used a canoe cart on the 1600 between rain lake and mcCraney? Is it an easy go with one?  I'm planning to rent one from algonquin bound in Huntsville. Has anyone else done this? Are they decent carts?
Ken

8/26/2015 9:56 am  #2

Re: Cart rental and cart path

Haven't used a cart, but here's a couple of photos of the portage from back in 2005. It's noted as a well maintained portage on Jeff's Map .. so I imagine the growth is probably kept cut back regularly.
Apparently the portage is along either an old logging roadway or spur-line road-bed.

Close to Rain Lake heading south ...

Close to Little McCraney Lake  ...

8/26/2015 10:27 am  #3

Barry, thank you very much for the reply and the photos!    That looks like it will be perfect for a cart
Cheers
Ken

8/26/2015 12:12 pm  #4

One note on carts based on a group trip. If you plan to put anything in the canoe (i.e. most of your gear), proceed with caution.  The frames are usually strong enough for a couple hundred pounds, but make sure the wheels are on bearings, not just metal on plastic bushings, so they can bind up badly under-load . . .

8/26/2015 1:08 pm  #5

Craiger, thank you for the advice.  I will ask algonquin bound if the cart will be able to hold up.    I had planned on leaving my gear in the canoe just to make it that much easier across the portage

Ken

8/26/2015 1:15 pm  #6

there is quite a steep rise (about 20')  with log steps out of Rain before it levels out. I don't think it would be possible to take a cart up it, especially loaded- you'd need to carry everything up first.

8/26/2015 1:20 pm  #7

Foxriderz wrote:

Hey all, a couple questions for you. Has anyone used a canoe cart on the 1600 between rain lake and mcCraney? Is it an easy go with one? I'm planning to rent one from algonquin bound in Huntsville. Has anyone else done this? Are they decent carts?
Ken

Foxriderz, Randy from Algonquin Outfitters in Huntsville here (705-787-0262 x36).  I was just into Rain Lake this past weekend and have done the portage over to McCraney many a time (actually I live just down Rain Lake Road and walk my dogs there a few times every summer)

As you probably know the portage into Little McCraney is an old railway bed so it's super flat and easy to cross.  You could use a cart or just portage your canoe and gear, as it's an easy one and not too long.  

Give our reservations number a call if you need any gear or a canoe for your trip 1-800-469-4948 

8/26/2015 1:29 pm  #8

Scoutergriz, I very much appreciate the heads up about the log steps.   Carrying the gear up should not be a problem then re load at the top and go.  Being late in the season and having my girlfriend with me I have more gear then I normally would and I can not single trip the portage because of this. I figure with a cart I can get it done in one shot

Randy thank you for the info, would you have an approx guess on time to walk the portage?   Do you guys rent canoe carts?

8/28/2015 7:23 am  #9

It just occurred to me that should you head down to McCraney Lake in the fall, you'll find the dam at the south end will probably be "drawn-down" for winter water control. This results in some ugly shorelines and possibly a rough go down the channel between Little Mccraney and McCraney Lake. If you're considering a fall trip, I recommending checking with the park as to the commencement date of any draw-down and the loss of depth involved.

EDIT: See update re Muskoka River Water Management Plan (2006) on page 2 of this discussion .. regular drawdowns nolonger practiced!

8/28/2015 7:30 am  #10

BarryB wrote:

It just occurred to me that should you head down to McCraney Lake in the fall, you'll find the dam at the south end will probably be "drawn-down" for winter water control. This results in some ugly shorelines and possibly a rough go down the channel between Little Mccraney and McCraney Lake. If you're considering a fall trip, I recommending checking with the park as to the commencement date of any draw-down and the loss of depth involved.

Hmm... in 2009 I was planning a Labour Day weekend trip to McCraney Lake, and I emailed the park, asking "Are the water levels on that lake expected to be high enough to access by canoe via the portage from Rain Lake?  I know water levels have generally been high this summer but my understanding is that lake depends on hydroelectric activity..."

The answer I got was "We no longer let the water out of that area. The water levels are fine."

So although given the context of my question, staff may have meant that they no longer open the dam in late summer or they no longer open the dam for electricity generation purposes, a literal reading of her answer would say they no longer open the dam at all... Barry do you have more recent info about fall draw-downs?

8/28/2015 7:56 am  #11

I was going back through old posts this morning and came across concerns about water levels.  Has anyone been through this area in the last couple years over the labour day weekend?

8/28/2015 9:38 am  #12

Hi Dan .. Just got a reply from the park's south-backcountry supervisor, that while the dam on McCraney Lake is considered operational, it is nolonger drawn down every fall, due to the impact that such practices had on lake trout reproduction. However, should an unusual water event occur, the dam can be operated in an emergency capacity.

Background info can be referenced at http://www.muskokawaterweb.ca/waterfront-living/healthy-shorelines/81-water-101/mrwmp  , which details the Muskoka River Water Management Plan (2006)."Prior to the implementation of the Muskoka River Water Management Plan , many of the lakes controlled by dams were significantly lowered over the winter to maximize their capacity to store flood waters during the spring snow melt period. However advances in the understanding of lake trout biology through initiatives such as the Kawagama Lake Project have shown that lake trout eggs and/or fry were likely being exposed when winter drawdown levels were too low. The current operating strategy for lake trout lakes is to reduce the extent of the winter drawdown of lake levels in order to protect eggs and fry. However, if a high water or flood event is anticipated, lake levels are lowered to a greater extent in order to protect shoreline property and reduce the potential for flooding."

9/03/2015 6:55 pm  #13

Something we learned carting the Opeongo-Dickson cart path is to mount a bar across the gunnels at the bow. You could lash a stick/staff, or mount a steel bar or rod with a u-bolt to the front handle on the canoe. We learned the hard way that one in front and one in back just end up pushing and pulling against each other. With bar mounted on the front you can work together much easier.  One last tip, always carry what you can on the really rough spots or you will destroy your cart.

9/04/2015 12:12 am  #14

scoutergriz wrote:

there is quite a steep rise (about 20')  with log steps out of Rain before it levels out. I don't think it would be possible to take a cart up it, especially loaded- you'd need to carry everything up first.

When did they add steps up to the portage to McCraney?  I really could use some help getting up there.  The last time we were there (I think it was last year), the eroded part was getting to be too much for me to climb easily.  I'm 5' 2" and it was a struggle.

The old tote-road used to go all the way down to McCraney, way past where the portage ends now.  You can see evidence of the old road where it used to end.  I believe there used to be a ranger cabin down there, too.

Take everything as it comes; the wave passes, deal with the next one.

Tom Thomson, 1877-1917

9/04/2015 12:16 am  #15

Treater wrote:

One last tip, always carry what you can on the really rough spots or you will destroy your cart.

Once you get up to the backpacking trail that crosses the portage to McCraney, there are no really rough spots.  Maybe some ponds, if you do it in the spring.  Learned not to optimistically wear sandals.  Also learned to just walk through the ponds, and stop worrying about it. 

Barbara

Take everything as it comes; the wave passes, deal with the next one.

Tom Thomson, 1877-1917

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.