You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/22/2015 7:35 am  #1

Winter camping in Xmas

Hi all,

Started winter camping last year, just in SW Ontario. I'd like to go up to Algonquin this year just before Xmas. Is it too early for backcountry (i.e. is there enough snow, and are the lakes safe)? 

Any suggestions appreciated. 

Cheers,
Marko

8/22/2015 11:14 am  #2

Re: Winter camping in Xmas

It really depends and varies from year to year.  I would say you are likely safe to plan to be able to do a back country winter trip around that time of year.  I can't say about the lake ice but I think there should be enough snow on the ground for land travel at least.  I would call the park before heading up though, just to be sure.  

I love the tent!  Bet you can't wait to get up and get it all set up.  What kind of stove did you get?

8/22/2015 12:53 pm  #3

Thanks Steve! 

I got the Kni-Co Alaskan. Heavy, but it burns for a good 4 hours without refueling. Thinking cutting a hole in the top to make it more efficient as a burner. We'll see, I think that's a November project.

8/24/2015 8:36 pm  #4

Lake ice at that season totally depends on the year, and I doubt you'll get straight answers from park staff since they don't officially recommend ice travel. One way to check closer to the date would be to go on a fishing forum and ask how ice fishing conditions are in areas outside the park but near the part of the park you're going to.

8/24/2015 10:10 pm  #5

Thanks for the advice, I'll ask around in mid-December. Probably will go to the Sunday Lake trail, that way I can avoid the lakes and still have a nice backcountry trip.

Cheers,
Marko

Last edited by Marko_Mrko (8/24/2015 10:11 pm)

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.