You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/11/2024 7:59 am  #1

Towing canoe cart on bike

I recently purchased a Rocky Mountain Solo A30 gravel bike. Next year, I would like use it to tow my canoe and gear (considering the Suspenz Smart Airless DLX Cart or Wheeleez Tuff Tire Canoe Cart) to access some more remote sections of the park. Are the conditions of the following roads/cart trails suitable for this bike and towing setup? 

Trip 1 - Access #44 - Cart trail to White Partridge Lake

Trip 2 - Access #47 - Bissett Creek Road cart trail to Gerald Lake

Trip 3 - Access #17A - Cart trail to Aylen River portage

Trip 4 - Access #22c - Cart trail to Barron Lake portage

Any tips or information would be appreciated.

10/11/2024 8:48 am  #2

Re: Towing canoe cart on bike

https://www.ontarioparks.ca/park/algonquin/rules

Bicycles are only allowed on park roads and on designated bike trails.

https://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/visit/recreational_activites/biking.php

Barbara

Take everything as it comes; the wave passes, deal with the next one.

Tom Thomson, 1877-1917

10/11/2024 9:12 am  #3

Hi Barbara - thank you for the links, but I have confirmed that bicycles are permitted on the routes I have mentioned. My question is specific to the condition of those roads/trails and whether they are in good enough condition to travel on with my bike and canoe cart.

10/11/2024 9:25 am  #4

Although I have no experience on these specific routes the cart paths and trails I have come across are definitely more suited to Mountain/Fat Bike vs Gravel bike. Especially if towing a load IMHO. 

10/11/2024 9:46 am  #5

mr. bampot
 ya gotta post pictures of your bike and cart with the canoe set up, 
   ya could be walking up hills??? although biking into w.p. has been done before,, 
   i do know of fellows getting pinched on the w.p cart trail by the m.n.r.   these guys were on a.t.v. .
    the a.t.v. used were sold by court auction,, plus fines on top of that,,,

10/11/2024 9:56 am  #6

swedish pimple wrote:

mr. bampot
 ya gotta post pictures of your bike and cart with the canoe set up, 
   ya could be walking up hills??? although biking into w.p. has been done before,, 
   i do know of fellows getting pinched on the w.p cart trail by the m.n.r.   these guys were on a.t.v. .
    the a.t.v. used were sold by court auction,, plus fines on top of that,,,

I will post a picture once I have everything fully set up. To clarify, I am using a bicycle and not an E-bike or other motor powered vehicle.

10/11/2024 10:01 am  #7

10/11/2024 10:42 am  #8

Shayne74 wrote:

Although I have no experience on these specific routes the cart paths and trails I have come across are definitely more suited to Mountain/Fat Bike vs Gravel bike. Especially if towing a load IMHO. 

Thanks - worst case scenario I could cache the bike and walk the cart trails with the trailer if the roads are too rough for the bicycle tires (although the tires seem pretty wide and aggressive on the gravel bike).

10/11/2024 3:06 pm  #9

You asked about the condition of the various roads/ cart trails you are considering. Below are images which provide a sense of the conditon of the cart trail to McKaskill & Aylen River portage (from 17A).  And one of a section of the cart trail to White Partridge.  I am familair with the cart trail to the Barron Lk portage as well but would have to search for a photo.

I will send a longer private message with additional info.
Jim

Surface of 17a cart trail

Surface of cart trail to White Partridge

I think there are some videos online showing the White Partridge cart trail being travelled by horse and wagon that would provide a better sense of the conditions.

10/12/2024 10:30 am  #10

Trail wrote:

You asked about the condition of the various roads/ cart trails you are considering. Below are images which provide a sense of the conditon of the cart trail to McKaskill & Aylen River portage (from 17A).  And one of a section of the cart trail to White Partridge.  I am familair with the cart trail to the Barron Lk portage as well but would have to search for a photo.

I will send a longer private message with additional info.
Jim

Surface of 17a cart trail

Surface of cart trail to White Partridge

I think there are some videos online showing the White Partridge cart trail being travelled by horse and wagon that would provide a better sense of the conditions.

Jim - Thank you very much for the information. I'm not sure if the private message function is working, but I appreciate the photos and details you have provided here. Based on these photos, it looks like those routes are certainly possible on a bike!

Yesterday 7:09 am  #11

Bampot, just as an aside, I know a guy who drives his car (SUV) into WP.  You should have no issues with your bicycle setup.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.