You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/03/2016 5:32 pm  #1

Canisbay Paddle In Sites...beaches?

Hi guys,

We have booked a summer weekend getaway on canisbay and are heading to the paddle-in sites. Some friends of ours are tagging along and they'll be bringing their 5 year old twins. I was wondering if anyone knew of any sites that might have a bit of a beach? Doesn't have to be big, 15' of sand is fine. Anyone have any insights to share? Thanks in advance.

Moonman.

Last edited by Moonman (3/03/2016 5:38 pm)

3/04/2016 9:58 am  #2

Re: Canisbay Paddle In Sites...beaches?

It has been a few years since I have been there but I always enjoyed Canisbay as an option to car camping. More of a backcountry feel and it allows for a little more luxury gear-wise compared to tripping; as long as it fits in the canoe, you can bring it along.

As I recall, the best sites are on the western shore but there is little there in terms of a beach, the water access being more along the lines of a regular backcountry site. The eastern sites near the Olive Lake portage do have some extensive sandy beaches, as I recall, but the sites are very open and lack privacy. 

I had a look to see what I had handy picture wise and only found this one - one of the camp sites on the western shore. 

Dave

3/06/2016 9:41 am  #3

Thanks Dave,

I think we'll explore the east side and look at those sites with a bit more beach. I Would prefer the privacy of the western sites but the kiddies rule for another few years.

Thanks for your input,

Moonman.

3/06/2016 10:06 am  #4

It's not that big of a lake so you can paddle right around looking for that perfect site. I can't recall what the northern sites are like but they may be worth a look.

Dave

3/09/2016 10:35 am  #5

The second campsite on the west shore, just around the point has a very nice beach.  The side has lots of trees but is also very open.  That would be the first place to look. 

"Remember you belong to Nature, not it to you." - Grey Owl

3/09/2016 5:30 pm  #6

Hey BB thanks for the tip, very much appreciated!

Moonman.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.