You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/17/2024 1:24 pm  #1

Highland Backpacking Trail - April 15-17

...I hadn't planned on doing a solo jaunt this year, but decided that I couldn't pass up an inviting window of opportunity with the early backcountry opening. I plan on doing a more detailed write up at some point, but basically I went over the top loop down to Harness Lake for night one and then West Provoking for night two. The weather wasn't stellar on Monday, but Tuesday made up for it with pure sunshine. Cold mornings, but decent afternoon temps. The trail had its share of blow downs and muddy spots, but overall the conditions were better than I expected. There were no other bookings on the trail and I did not see a soul - not even a day hiker - the entire time. A super rare experience, and so awesome!

4/18/2024 6:52 am  #2

Re: Highland Backpacking Trail - April 15-17

I look forward to hearing more details!!!

4/18/2024 8:30 am  #3

Amazing. Sounds like a wonderful time.

4/26/2024 7:30 pm  #4

What is the "early backcountry opening" a reference to?

4/28/2024 4:07 pm  #5

Roman_K2 wrote:

What is the "early backcountry opening" a reference to?

Reservation dates were originally not available until early May, but with ice-out happening much earlier the backcountry opened up for use starting on April 12. A great window of opportunity!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.