You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/08/2024 3:08 pm  #1

Now you tube....historic trip

I got talked into getting a YouTube channel, go pro, etc.to post this 125 consecutive interior camping nights epic trip.

Never a camera or go pro person so I definitely need any advice out there.  I notice you can get everything I need for around $100.  Is this correct or do I have to spend more?

Also, if you want to be on camera as well as YouTube, just pay me a visit!  LOL

CAMPING IS WHEN YOU SPEND A LOT OF MONEY TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON!

4/08/2024 3:43 pm  #2

Re: Now you tube....historic trip

I don't think you're getting a newer model GoPro for $100, but I've seen accessory kits on Amazon for $50 (mounts, tripods etc. )

My advice would be to check marketplace for some used deals.  I see a few GP10's with accessories in my area for around $400. 

Get yourself a few extra batteries and an SD card storage box. 

4/08/2024 5:22 pm  #3

It's going to cost a lot more than $100 to get a half-decent setup. You can get a second-hand GoPro Hero 7 for $200ish, which is a very old model at this point but it's as far back as I'd recommend going. But then you'll also need a handful of spare batteries, a charging hub to recharge those batteries, power banks, tripod/selfie stick, a few micro SD cards, and ideally a mount for your canoe. You can go crazy with accessories if you wanted but that would be the minimum setup that I'd recommend.

GoPro is great for POV videos like when you're paddling and portaging or walking around the campsite, but it's not a high-quality camera so it won't excel at things like wildlife, astrophotography, and/or detailed landscape photos. All action cameras are notoriously bad in low-light settings as well.

Whatever you end up deciding to get, spend a lot of time with it before the trip so you can learn the ins and outs of how to properly use it, before the trip begins.

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

4/09/2024 12:14 am  #4

TripperMike wrote:

I don't think you're getting a newer model GoPro for $100, but I've seen accessory kits on Amazon for $50 (mounts, tripods etc. )

My advice would be to check marketplace for some used deals.  I see a few GP10's with accessories in my area for around $400. 

Get yourself a few extra batteries and an SD card storage box. 

Thanks Tripper Mike.  You are correct re cost as I was looking at an accessory package   Just goes to show you how much I am a newbie at this.  I do like the GoPro 10 and probably the one I will go with

4/09/2024 12:49 am  #5

trippythings wrote:

It's going to cost a lot more than $100 to get a half-decent setup. You can get a second-hand GoPro Hero 7 for $200ish, which is a very old model at this point but it's as far back as I'd recommend going. But then you'll also need a handful of spare batteries, a charging hub to recharge those batteries, power banks, tripod/selfie stick, a few micro SD cards, and ideally a mount for your canoe. You can go crazy with accessories if you wanted but that would be the minimum setup that I'd recommend.

GoPro is great for POV videos like when you're paddling and portaging or walking around the campsite, but it's not a high-quality camera so it won't excel at things like wildlife, astrophotography, and/or detailed landscape photom
. All action cameras are notoriously bad in low-light settings as well.

Whatever you end up deciding to get, spend a lot of time with it before the trip so you can learn the ins and outs of how to properly use it, before the trip begins.

Thanks trippy things.  My current plan is just to use GoPro on canoe and views of my campsite for viewers.  A good RICH friend of mine has just ordered me the latest GoPro and the accessory package that comes with it includes a windup solar screen to recharge my batteries.  Again, I will hopefully have this GoPro thing down pat before trip begins.  And what I don't know I hope I can figure out on this 4 month, 125 night trip.  This trip is really getting me pumped up and I can't wait for it to begin.

4/09/2024 8:46 am  #6

boknows wrote:

trippythings wrote:

GoPro is great for POV videos like when you're paddling and portaging or walking around the campsite, but it's not a high-quality camera so it won't excel at things like wildlife, astrophotography, and/or detailed landscape photom
. All action cameras are notoriously bad in low-light settings as well.

Thanks trippy things. My current plan is just to use GoPro on canoe and views of my campsite for viewers. A good RICH friend of mine has just ordered me the latest GoPro and the accessory package that comes with it includes a windup solar screen to recharge my batteries. Again, I will hopefully have this GoPro thing down pat before trip begins. And what I don't know I hope I can figure out on this 4 month, 125 night trip. This trip is really getting me pumped up and I can't wait for it to begin.

Congrats, enjoy it!

As a long-time GoPro user I can't recommend enough to get a handful of spare batteries and a charging hub to charge them. The batteries I always go with GoPro brand, but the charging hub you can buy a third-party from Amazon. Without the charging hub, you'll need to charge 1 battery at a time while it's inside your GoPro, meaning you can't really use the GoPro while charging. Considering each battery doesn't last very long (and GoPro batteries have a bad reputation for dying randomly) you will realllyyyy regret starting a 125 day trip without spare batteries and a charging hub.

Protective glass screen/lens covers are essential as well. They have saved my screen/lens on a number of occasions after accidental drops. For $10-15 on Amazon it should be an immediate purchase.

A backup micro SD card is another essential item. You'll want to think about how you're going to deal with the data while out on a 125 day trip, because you might need several micro SD cards if you don't have a method of uploading the data somewhere throughout the journey. It's really important to do a "hard format" for the SD card on your computer and then a "soft format" on the GoPro itself. There are countless stories (and it has happened to me) of corrupt files and cards from not doing this.

Selfie stick / tripod combo there's a million options to choose from, but again it's one of those things you'll really regret starting a 125 day trip and not having one with you.

For mounting to the canoe, a little trick is to use a bicycle handlebar mount. As long as the handles and/or thwarts of the canoe can accommodate the mount, it's the perfect accessory.

And last non-accessory thing is to learn about the different camera settings. There are the image quality settings (resolution, frame rate, etc.) and then features of the GoPro like voice command, etc.

This is a lot of info and some of it is repetitive from my last message, but I'm just trying to share some of the most important stuff so you're prepared with the camera before starting the trip. "And what I don't know I hope I can figure out on this 4 month, 125 night trip." There's a lot you'll figure out as you go, but the stuff mentioned above are things you'll want to figure out before you go!

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

4/09/2024 4:31 pm  #7

Thanks for the hints and all have been recorded as to what I will need for a successful trip.  I definitely will be practicing with my GoPro before my trip.  I am even watching YouTube videos of others using them, especially Joe Robinet who has used them often in Algonquin Park.

4/09/2024 6:30 pm  #8

Just go buythe SJ400 or the EKASO EK7000.  I have the SJ4000 and have had it for over 10 years. It works perfect for everything you want. Underwater too, no problemo. I beat the sh*t out of mine on many fishing trips and it continues to perform flawlessly. I bought the camera and then bought the "kit" separately - kit included EVERYTHING you need for camera accessories.

AKASO EK7000 - $109.  But if you clip the $30 off coupon it's $89.  Not too shabby. https://www.amazon.ca/AKASO-Underwater-Waterproof-External-Microphone/dp/B0CGV955YX/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.MUfTOhGX0mb52URPaEj9WrnMC5ohL8b-JS17IZ89vI6jNzOdWeH3BBqYJhPARXCI8KCF4S0Hwf-ZSk-fGb72Pd9ts4sYu59gJNaM3hzgORhi9Fq5pT9oKN4Htf1YKCMPCXafm3-1M8OjYPA3FjhgaYJJrDwxCJhspBD_QQJOFmac-9ItssKlLJWtrVq4fdHumOWwAoX7ihZk7dr1jsEGzPZhtwV9Boi8DN6ndGxMWeS5NBqd2Y4HVK26yjB3Ak7RzbPVCnJ2Yf1C5BhwrEJ4hOFz8Gw6hWPwLgCQoYju8uY.mGxcKv5-x0XeaRYs5ZOcYfxzkfDCvTXcw81lG7D91sA&dib_tag=se&hvadid=267115319883&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9001133&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=16267643390424621924&hvtargid=kwd-301202258098&hydadcr=7402_9145882&keywords=sj4000+hd&qid=1712704817&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1&smid=A15W14ZP5JJQK5

SJ 4000 HD Wifi - $110 Very good deal imho https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=sj4000+hd&hvadid=267115319883&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9001133&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=16267643390424621924&hvtargid=kwd-301202258098&hydadcr=7402_9145882&tag=googcana-20&ref=pd_sl_asgg50cnu_e

Example of Accessory Kit $46 (do a search for them, there are many to choose from) https://www.amazon.ca/Navitech-Action-Camera-Accessories-Waterproof/dp/B079SGB8SF/ref=sr_1_9?dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.MUfTOhGX0mb52URPaEj9WrnMC5ohL8b-JS17IZ89vI6jNzOdWeH3BBqYJhPARXCI8KCF4S0Hwf-ZSk-fGb72Pd9ts4sYu59gJNaM3hzgORhi9Fq5pT9oKN4Htf1YKCMPCXafm3-1M8OjYPA3FjhgaYJJrDwxCJhspBD_QQJOFmac-9ItssKlLJWtrVq4fdHumOWwAoX7ihZk7dr1jsEGzPZhtwV9Boi8DN6ndGxMWeS5NBqd2Y4HVK26yjB3Ak7RzbPVCnJ2Yf1C5BhwrEJ4hOFz8Gw6hWPwLgCQoYju8uY.mGxcKv5-x0XeaRYs5ZOcYfxzkfDCvTXcw81lG7D91sA&dib_tag=se&hvadid=267115319883&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9001133&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=16267643390424621924&hvtargid=kwd-301202258098&hydadcr=7402_9145882&keywords=sj4000+hd&qid=1712704817&sr=8-9

Edit: forgot to mention, I have tons of SD cards, if you need some let me know, They fit in an envelope and I could mail them to you.

Last edited by Swift Fifteen (4/09/2024 6:36 pm)

4/09/2024 9:50 pm  #9

Thanks Swift Fifteen  for this valuable information.  I will definitely contact you should I require SD cards.

Thanks again for helping my historic trip becoming epic.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.