You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/31/2024 6:33 pm  #1

A tip toe through through the forest in June

I've planned a little adventure on the backpacking trail on Western Uplands from Hwy 60.  I'm hoping to rediscover my trail legs for another adventure this summer.  I took a break from Algonquin last year. New breath new life into my love of the trail(s). My plan is not too strenuous: Maple Leaf, Maggie, Eu, Thunder, Romano and Guekewau. Nothing my feet haven't hit before. I'm curious about what other hikers have planned.

4/01/2024 5:45 pm  #2

Re: A tip toe through through the forest in June

I have 10 days planned in Pukasawa this year. Algonquin hiking is too competitive for my booking style.

4/01/2024 7:50 pm  #3

I really wanted to do a short solo hike this year on the upper part of the Western Uplands but decided that 2024 is just too jam-packed with extreme levels of work and play, so barring a last minute fall hike, I guess next year it is for me... Sal, that sounds like a great trek - Eu seems to be especially hard to book now, so great that you can snag it! Christine, all the best in Pukaskwa - such beautiful country. Not sure if you are working with Doug from North Shore Adventures, but he's a really super guy. And if you hit Marathon, the Chinese food restaurant there is amazing!

Last edited by hiker72 (4/01/2024 7:56 pm)

4/06/2024 4:51 pm  #4

I do appreciate each of your responses!  I do have a Killarney trip booked for July - my first successful time in getting a booking to fit my solo style. I hope that Algonquin can help me find my trail legs for that 80km hike. I've always loved the Western Uplands from Hwy 60...it was where I got my start in backpacking.  All the best to the backpackers for this season!

4/12/2024 10:36 am  #5

solosal wrote:

I do have a Killarney trip booked for July - my first successful time in getting a booking to fit my solo style.

Great to hear! Yeah, since Covid it's been next to impossible to book a reasonable route on the Lacloche-Silhouette. I would love to do this loop again - and solo for the first time - and was so close last year but had to cancel (for a positive reason). All the best as you lead up to this amazing trek (I'm just a tinge envious)!

4/25/2024 6:19 pm  #6

Somehow managed to get this booking in Killarney this year with some of the best sites on the trail but the reservation gymnastics I had to perform were quite something. You want to hike this beautiful trail now you either have to be on top of it really early or incredibly lucky.

Last edited by ShawnD (4/25/2024 6:22 pm)

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

4/25/2024 6:42 pm  #7

Nicely done, you scored some great sites there!

4/26/2024 2:38 pm  #8

Hey ShawnD I will perhaps see you.  We are out there the same time.  I'll be the old lady seeing the sights!  I have a moderate plan each day as I want to really drink in all the glory.  It's been many years since I have been able to reserve sites that fits a solo trek and actually enjoy the journey.  All the best to you on the trail!

4/26/2024 3:04 pm  #9

Fingers crossed for good weather Solosal.

I’ll be the old guy hiking with his teenage daughter if you see me.

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.