You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/06/2023 12:24 pm  #35

Re: Algonquin Misadventure

AlgonquinLakes wrote:

MooseWhizzer Dave wrote:

On the other hand, things usually slow down on AA during the winter months (until we decide to start predicting ice out and express confusion/concern over the reservation system), so for now it gives us something to do.  

I’m predicting ice out for April 35th and I think the reservation system should go to a site specific model, but only on Tuesdays. Also, it shouldn’t apply to me.

ya got the rage-bait trifecta there!

12/06/2023 12:35 pm  #36

The negative comments won't deter me. I apologize that finishing the report has taken me longer than some people would have liked. I am writing it in my limited spare time. Perhaps I should have waited to post until I had the time to complete the report. In any case, I respect people's right to stop reading if they are not interested, but I find it bizarre that they have been compelled to write some of the negative comments I have read above. Sure, anything can be summarized in "a few paragraphs," but fully explaining the circumstances and details of what I encountered does take more time. 

12/06/2023 12:41 pm  #37

Eoin Sandison wrote:

but I find it bizarre

Frankly, this whole story is bizarre and not only does it violate the regulations of Algonquin Park (Intentional or otherwise), it also violates rules 12 and 19 of this forum..

just sayin'

Last edited by Peek (12/06/2023 12:42 pm)

12/06/2023 1:01 pm  #38

Peek wrote:

Eoin Sandison wrote:

but I find it bizarre

Frankly, this whole story is bizarre and not only does it violate the regulations of Algonquin Park (Intentional or otherwise), it also violates rules 12 and 19 of this forum..

just sayin'

And you and some others have violated forum rules 1 through 3.

Just sayin'

12/06/2023 1:03 pm  #39

Big stretch there Bob.

But ok lol

12/06/2023 1:56 pm  #40

Peek for PM

Lol

12/06/2023 2:40 pm  #41

April 35th seems early to me.  I'm going with Maypril 2nd.  It's a Fraterday.

12/06/2023 3:51 pm  #42

I've enjoyed reading the author's  "Algonquin Misadventure"  While I'm 5 or 6 months away from my next canoe trip, about all I can do is look longingly at my canoe as it hangs in the garage.  This article has been a nice distraction from the stresses of this time of year.
I certainly can appreciate the author's comments about being busy in R/L I'm in the same boat.  I'm looking forward to reading more, when the author's time permits.  It's been an interesting read so far!

12/06/2023 4:28 pm  #43

Ok guys, I confess. It's me. This thread was made from my alt account. It was all part of my master plan so I could follow up and say "If you want to read 10,000 words of content where stuff actually happens, check out my latest trip report!"

But on a serious note... of course this whole thing could have been summed up in two sentences, but that defeats the point. If he wants to stretch it out and turn it into a detailed story, why not? For those not interested, simply don't read it. It's not like it's cluttering the forum, Page 1 of this "Trip Reports" section still has threads dating back to 2022.

It's a little too much content with too little happening to keep my attention, for me personally, but if other people want to go along for the ride (pun intended), all the power to ya.

Also, hard disagree with Drew. Site-specific reservations make more sense on Wednesdays, not Tuesdays.

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

12/06/2023 5:18 pm  #44

When this tale started, I was tempted to point out the fact that backcountry vehicular travel by unauthorized or "non-status" individuals was a regulated "non-no". However, I thought I'd give Eoin the chance to sum-up with his own self-critical comments to that effect.

The trusting of Google travel advise relating to logging roads has been an ongoing problem as far back as when John Winters was the park superintendent. Google appears to have a problem either recognizing or remembering such restrictions.

I'm glad that other forum members have pointed out the shortcoming of the decisions that Eoin made. I'm still hoping that he will conclude with constructive self-criticism, so as to complete what could be a unique educational experience.

12/06/2023 5:54 pm  #45

Well, this afternoon, I was contacted by an official from Ontario Parks and issued a citation. The officer correlated my Bucholtz Lake permit data to the details provided through an anonymous complaint. Big thanks to Peek or one of the other self-righteous trolls here who reported me to Ontario Parks and forwarded the information I posted on this forum. I fully intend to fight the citation in court and look forward to that challenge. 

As someone who cares deeply about Algonquin Park and always leaves the park in better shape than I found it (i.e., cleaning up campsites and packing out garbage left by other campers), I am particularly offended by Peek's characterization of me. I did not intend to trespass. Despite the citation, I am glad I did because it pulled back the curtain on some alarming aspects of Algonquin Park - things I know most people will never see or appreciate - primarily because of these "Rules and Regulations." Governments impose many non-sensical laws under the guise of promoting the health and safety of citizens when, in fact, they are designed only to control what people are allowed to see or hear. 

I won't bore this forum with the remaining details of my report. It certainly would not help my case vs. Ontario Parks, Peek, et al. My experience will stay with me for the rest of my life and has profoundly impacted my outlook for the future. I intend to deploy my energy positively. Hopefully, through volunteer work and advocacy, I can make meaningful, positive changes that will benefit current and future users of Algonquin Park. 

Thank you to those who read my report and took something from it. I regret that I cannot cap off the story for you in light of these developments. 

It would be wise to remember that the same people who would stop you from freely accessing all areas of Algonquin Park may be back next year to complain about a book, or even a TV program. If you can be told what you can see or read, then it follows that you can be told what to say or think. Defend your constitutionally protected rights - no one else will do it for you. 

Last edited by Eoin Sandison (12/06/2023 5:57 pm)

12/06/2023 5:59 pm  #46

And that response has about as much credibility as the rest of the report. 

12/06/2023 6:01 pm  #47

Dang! Now we'll never know what was discovered in those backwoods. UFO? Elvis? Oh well, Christmas is around the corner and I must start loading the sleigh.

12/06/2023 6:09 pm  #48

rgcmce wrote:

And that response has about as much credibility as the rest of the report. 

If only I could write trip reports like yours.

7 PM - Ate stew. Too salty.
9 PM - In bed. Too cold.
7 AM - Made coffee. Too bitter.
9 AM - Made oatmeal. Too bland.
10 AM - Left campsite. Bob complained about blackflies. 

12/06/2023 6:13 pm  #49

Just wait until that official from the park searches "Algonquin Park" on YouTube! Probably 90% of the videos I watch have blatant rule breaking, with openly camping off-permit being the number one most common. Citations will be issued left right and centre!

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

12/06/2023 6:14 pm  #50

Lol I knew it was a troll

And while I didn't report you, I would.

Also, you're heavily mistaken if you think employees of the MNR don't browse this forum.

Anyway, cool story bro.

Last edited by Peek (12/06/2023 6:16 pm)

12/06/2023 6:16 pm  #51

This thread shows how big a bunch of tools some of you are. Do you call Netfix to complain when a series doesn't release all 7 seasons after the pilot? Do you complain when a story doesn't match the preconceived narrative that you envisioned? Unreal.

Eion goes out on a limb to share his experience and this is what happens. 

Also don't tell anyone but I may have exceeded the speed limit driving on the 60 from time to time...Hope that doesn't bring the police to my door...

I really hope I don't run into you fools the backcountry. I go to get away from people like you. I'm out. This is my last time on this site.

Do better. Be better.
RC

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.