You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/24/2015 10:06 am  #1

Biscuits!

There are about 9 million campsite biscuit recipes out there.

What are your tried and true favourite ways to make biscuits in the backcountry? Do you use Bisquick? Pancake Mix? Are those the same thing?

8/24/2015 10:16 am  #2

Re: Biscuits!

How about some fresh baked bannock?
--------------------------------
1 cup flour
1 tbsp. baking powder​
4 tbsp. powder milk
1 tbsp. sugar (optional)
--------------------------------
Pre-mix at home in a zip lock.
At camp, slowly add a little water and mix. Goal is a really tough dough. Careful not to add too much water or you'll end up with a giant pancake. The dough should be able to stick together, never runny.
Cook on super low heat, about 20 mins per side. Really low heat - or the outside will burn and the inside will be goopy.

This is the best (and easiest) recipe for Bannock I have found. Of course, you can modify it - sometimes I'll add cinnamon if it's more of a dessert bannock.

The two most important things about making bannock are:
1. Very little water
2. Very low heat

Nothing beats fresh-baked bread on a canoe trip! Goes amazing with chili or Brookies J

8/24/2015 10:24 am  #3

Thanks Peek,

How much does that recipe make. There are only 2 of us; should I 1/2 it?

Also, any recommendations for achieving "low heat"? Just leave on the coolest side of the fire?

8/24/2015 10:45 am  #4

It makes a loaf about 9" wide and 1.5" thick - so it really depends on how hungry you guys are / how hard your day was. When I have chili and bannock, I eat a loaf to myself, as does my fiancée - but that's cause she really likes my bannock.

I don't know that this recipe would be enough for two people, unless supplemented with other stuff (not just chili and bannock for example, maybe a 3rd item in there and this size would be good for two) You could always try it with a cup and a half of flour, then add 50% more of the other stuff too.

Low heat. Okay, so here I must confess. I've only made bannock using a small camp stove. It's totally possible to do this on the fire (or even by wrapping it around a stick and cooking over the fire) but I've never done this (I hate getting sot on my pots and pans... weird, I know).

But really, if you let the fire burn down to coals, then have it high enough off the coals on a rack, it should be fine. People cook bannock over the fire all the time, so it's definitely possible!

​Oh.. sometimes during the first half of cooking, I'll cover it to seal in the heat a bit.

Here are some bannock pic's to show the size of a loaf you’ll get using the recipe above...

8/24/2015 10:46 am  #5

oh shoot - forgot to mention - if you do not have non-stick or anodized aluminum pans, you'll need a bit of butter, ghee or oil, just so it does not stick. If you have non-stick, no need.

8/24/2015 1:05 pm  #6

Looks good. and Simple 

What kind of stove are you using there Peek? and assuming its good at maintaining a low heat/simmering?

One of my 2 stoves is much better than the other at that so would make sure I bring that one.

Last edited by ShawnD (8/24/2015 1:05 pm)

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

8/24/2015 3:18 pm  #7

believe it or not Shawn, it's a ebay knock off of the MSR WindProII (or something alike) - called the OneRoad RT-807 and yes, it's remarkably good at simmering. I read so many reviews on stoves when looking for one a few years back and the common problem for everyone seemed to be poor simmering capabilities - which is why I was so surprised by this stove's performance.. I think I paid somelike like $28 or $32 with shipping - not bad and this is it's 4th season of heavy usage.. might grab another one.

8/24/2015 3:38 pm  #8

Too Funny Peek. My best simmering stove is an MSR WindPro II.

Will note the cheaper replacement. 

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

8/25/2015 10:20 am  #9

White gas stoves are the best way to go when your getting into more involved recipes. The best simmering stove I've ever used is the Coleman Apex II. Hard to find now, though. If you see one up for sale, grab it!

Last edited by Algonquintripper (8/25/2015 10:21 am)

Dave

8/25/2015 5:02 pm  #10

Hey Peek
I use the same recipe ( minus the sugar ) and I fry it in butter like a flap jack. Try adding some savoury spice to it. I bring rosemary - fresh! and serv with butter. I also add dry blueberries, cherries etc and serve with syrup. I'll give it a try baking it though. A healthier choice for sure :-)

K

"Anyone can make love in a canoe, it's a Canadian who knows enough to take out the centre thwart!        Bahahaha!
                                                                      - Philip Chester

8/26/2015 10:32 am  #11

I agree with Peek regarding the two most important things for making good bannock: very little water and very low heat.  But getting back to the question asked by CanoeClaire: what exactly do you mean by "biscuit?"  I'm being serious when I say that I'm not sure what a biscuit is.  Is bannock a biscuit?  I always considered bannock more of a bread and a biscuit more of a cookie-type of thing.  I don't consider pancakes (made by Bisquick or Pancake Mix or other product) to be biscuits.  Maybe I'm out to lunch on this.  If so, can someone please clarify?  Thanks.

Not all those who wander are lost.

j.r.r. tolkien

8/31/2015 10:33 am  #12

@jackpine When I think of biscuit, I think of scone-like savory bread. For example, when I make chicken pot pie, I don't use a pie crust, I put biscuits on top. I wouldn't classify bannock as a biscuit (although it's an acceptable substitute). I'm still open to other backpacker friendly biscuit recipes!

To me, this is a biscuit:

9/01/2015 10:21 am  #13

Thanks CanoeClaire!  That sure looks good and would be great for breakfast, or actually, any meal.   Now to figure out the best way of making them.

Not all those who wander are lost.

j.r.r. tolkien

9/09/2015 8:26 am  #14

I wanted to report back and thank Peek for the bannock recipe. I can't believe we've never actually tried bannock before. We made our best ever backcountry meal this past weekend on Jubilee. Homemade dehydrated chili and bannock from Peek's recipe. We did it over the fire so it wasn't as pretty as Peek's photos but it was delicious.

(Yes, we did add "garnish" to improve the "presentation" of our campsite meal )

We spent the paddle out dreaming of delicious things to add to our bannock. So far, the best idea has been parmasean and rosemary (savory) with cinnimon, brown sugar, butter and frosting bannock for dessert.

9/09/2015 12:29 pm  #15

Awesome Claire!! Looks delicious! Isnt fresh bread on a canoe trip just amazing?

Speaking of adding goooood things to bannock.. check out this one I made yesterday monrning on Jeepi Lake..  

Standard recipe, but this time smashed up a bunch of mini oreo's into the batter and topped with icing sugar... it was insanely good.. the cookie made it come out like a cake! CAKE FOR BREAKFAST! haha

9/09/2015 3:16 pm  #16

That looks amazing! Think of what would happen if you added cocoa to the flour mixture and crushed oreos. 

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.