You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/18/2023 8:42 pm  #1

Dutch Oven

Anyone use a dutch oven on their trips to the park?  I've never used one before and have never really been interested in cast iron due to me being lazy and not wanting to clean it etc after every use so they don't rust out.  I was intrigued by the GSI Hard Anodized Dutch Oven so I've got one on order.  Much lighter than cast iron and easier to keep clean I think...

https://gsioutdoors.com/products/hard-anodized-dutch-oven

I'd love to hear folks experience with dutch ovens and any of your favourite recipes and tips!

10/19/2023 6:26 am  #2

Re: Dutch Oven

I love my GSI hard anodized oven, I've done everything from birthday cakes to a turkey dinner in it. I got mine about 20 years ago (first year it was out), and it's survived several dozen trips with youth groups from 11-18yrs old. Although it's not entirely stick proof, it does do a good job of it- burned on foods will still stick as will anything involving caramelized sugar.
While extremely tough, sharp metal tools WILL scratch it, so make sure not to use sharp metal implements (knives, forks, square shouldered flippers) and it really needs a proper lid lifter, the lid handle is too hard to grab with a gloved hand, and the bail handle doesn't lock so it can be tippy without holding the lid on tight to stabilize it.
the biggest plus is the 7lbs as opposed to a 20lb cast iron one....

10/19/2023 8:04 am  #3

That's awesome info thank you!  I don't have a lid lifter for it as I was planning on using high heat bbq gloves but sounds like that might not be an option?  Is it fairly easy to at least clean the burnt on stuff or does it take a hard scrub?  Also, any concerns with putting it right in the hot fire/coals?  I read a couple posts where people were saying there may be melting issues.

Mine doesn't have the legs so I plan on using it with a folding grill to keep it up off the coals a bit...

Thanks again for the insight!

10/19/2023 9:11 am  #4

I have the full Alpine Fry-Bake set with the lid and recommend them extremely highly. So light and durable. Add hot coals or build a twiggy fire on the lid to get heat from above. Get the metal spatula which is designed to scrape it clean without damaging the surface. Also adding some hot coals to the pot/pan when you are done cleans them right up and makes them look almost brand new. A bit more expensive, but well worth it.

https://frybake.com/

10/19/2023 9:34 am  #5

i also have the banks  frybake pan with a lid,,

10/19/2023 12:49 pm  #6

We use the GSI dutch on almost all of our trips. We cook almost all our meals in it with ease. It is easy to put over the fire and leave simmer without much worry. And cleanup is a breeze! One of the staples to our kitchen kit for sure! In most cases it worth the weight in my opinion!

Recent series on YouTube
https://youtu.be/qiAJQaeWFPw

10/20/2023 8:24 am  #7

Steve E, the gloves will work, but the handle on the lid is pretty small and it's extremely easy to burn your arm on the rim if it decides to tip as you lift it, the lifter moves your forearm out of that danger area as well as holding the lid in such as to keep it from tipping in the first place. It also is much easier because you don't need to move any coals out of the way.
For the rare time I deal with burned-on food, a good soak with hot, soapy water (unlike cast it won't rust in water) and judicious use of a white 3m nylon scrubber (coarser than the blue or green ones) will remove it fairly easily.
as for melting, neither mine or anyone else's that I know has ever warped or melted, and mine has been abused by probably in the range of 400 teens over a couple of decades, even after accidentally being left empty on the fire overnight.
I have a frybake too but rarely use it because, unlike a dutch oven, it holds and regulates very little heat.
The dutch oven can retain a constant heat for a considerable time if moved away from the heat source (20 min or more) because it has far more mass to hold that heat.

Last edited by scoutergriz (10/20/2023 8:25 am)

10/20/2023 8:53 am  #8

Awesome info folks, I really appreciate it!  Go figure it's being delivered Tuesday and I'm heading up to the park on Monday for 7 days.  Would have loved to take it and try some new meals  

10/20/2023 3:36 pm  #9

great insight scoutergriz,,,     what do you cook in these dutch oven pots??  

10/21/2023 6:28 am  #10

swedish pimple wrote:

great insight scoutergriz,,,     what do you cook in these dutch oven pots??  

anything you want- I've roasted hams, roasts, chickens, even turkey rolls, with or without potatoes and veggies, baked cakes, pies, and cinnamon buns, and used it on the stove as a large, deep pot for stews, soups, and just boiling dishwater (good way to loosen burnt grub), it's actually replaced my4l pot altogether for large groups.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.