You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/27/2023 9:17 pm  #1

Madawaska River - Radiant to Phillips

I’m booked to go from Radiant to Phillips next weekend on the Madawaska River. I’m starting to wonder if I’ve made a mistake in that plan. Anyone done that stretch at this time of year? Would water levels typically be reasonable? And how challenging would it be going upstream?

Thanks

8/28/2023 7:59 am  #2

Re: Madawaska River - Radiant to Phillips

Sent you a PM

8/28/2023 9:01 am  #3

Second week of August we did a loop out of Cedar, but we were coming from Hogan to Radiant. 
All portages from Hogan to Radiant were not difficult, albeit the P3565 is long and feels even longer. 
And we were heading downhill! The L. Madawaska had a ton of water in it, no issues with alder or major obstructions. I think maybe twice we bumped over submerged dams.

There was a surprising amount of current in the river though. We really noticed when putting back into the river at the end of the P3565. We hopped into the canoes and got swept immediately into the alder. The river also has some branches and trees hanging over and into the river in this section. We really had to check our speed to maneuver through this section. 

It might be too late to change your route, but I am glad we were heading down stream and down hill. Going the other way would be possible for sure, just less enjoyable. The campsites in this section are also poor until you get to Philip Lake itself.

Have a safe trip and enjoy!

8/29/2023 5:36 pm  #4

I did that section upstream mid august last year.  For a good part, the two portages follow old road beds of some sort so aren't too bad other than the length.  Left Radiant at about 10 and got to Phillip around 4 (with single carries).   I seem to recall a couple little lift-overs and the current generally didn't feel that significant other than the landing Evan mentioned.

But for disclosure, I've always found winding rivers/alders/dams a little fun (as in great  challenges to overcome).

9/05/2023 10:35 am  #5

Following up on this. We decided to change our route and go Catfish/Philip/Clamshell instead of the reverse. Glad we did. While it was nice paddling with the current in the river, I don’t think it would have been too challenging going upstream. The headwind we would have had on Philips and Hogan on the other hand, would have been awful. In fact, we crossed paths with another group who was doing our trip in reverse on day 2 and they looked miserable. Felt like we were looking at our alternate universe selves.

FWIW, this route was awesome. I’ll write up a report eventually, but I’ll say off the top this was probably a top five all time trip for us.

Last edited by AlgonquinLakes (9/05/2023 10:37 am)

9/13/2023 8:12 pm  #6

You only need to do a loop the wrong direction into headwinds once to learn your lesson LOL how was the fishing on catfish??

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.