You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/03/2023 7:30 pm  #1

Camps hoarding prime campsites on popular lakes all summer

I just came back from a trip to McIntosh. Along the way I chatted briefly with two camp counsellors out of Camp Arowhon who were sailing on Tepee Lake. They asked where I was going and I told them McIntosh. The one counsellor replied "We just sent a group of three canoes for a trip to McIntosh today."

Sure enough, I caught up to three yellow canoes at the end of the portage into Ink Lake. The group was carrying very minimal gear based on the size of their group (6 young campers and 3 camp counsellors). I was hoping to snag one of the prime campsites on McIntosh. However, upon paddling around the lake and near these campsites, all of them were occupied. To be more accurate, all of them had the same green, domed tents set up at each site but without any people or other gear visible.

I turned around and headed back to another site closer to the south end of the lake, passing the three yellow canoes who were heading northwest. Sure enough, they headed right for the sites I had checked out with the green tents. I started to wonder if Camp Arowhon has acquired permits for McIntosh covering all (or most) of the summer and have "staked claim" to the prime campsites on the lake by keeping their green domed tents set up. It would also explain the lack of gear for the group that I encountered (i.e., tents and perhaps other gear already left for them at the site by other groups from the same Camp.)

On the way back today, I also noticed two yellow canoes - one in front with two paddlers towing a second canoe filled with food barrels and other supplies - making a "delivery" to a group of campers camped at a site along the Little Oxtongue River.

My son attends Camp Pathfinder. I know they use Loon Point for training young campers on overnight tripping; but this isn't an official campsite and is widely known for being CPI's to use on Source Lake. I think they will also have permits booked on Raven, Owl, and Little Island for short 2-night trips with younger groups of campers. However, as far as I know, they pack up all their gear at the end of their trip and vacate the site. 

Does anyone know if this is a common or likely scenario? If so, what can be done to stop this practice? 

8/03/2023 7:51 pm  #2

Re: Camps hoarding prime campsites on popular lakes all summer

Jeeze, I hope this isn’t the case as it really defeats the purpose of taking young kids out for the challenge of a canoe trip.  its entirely possible that this tactic is specific to this camp group for whatever reason, but I feel your pain.

8/03/2023 9:05 pm  #3

Hey, my son is also at Pathfinder. This is his first year. Have your kids been enjoying it? I’ve heard very good things about it.

To your question on staking claims to sites, this is the first I’ve heard of it. I was at Ahmek years ago, and that certainly wasn’t something we did. I wonder if this is a new thing that’s come on in response to the increased pressure on sites in the park? (Not that this helps anyone else in anyway).

8/04/2023 9:56 am  #4

I've heard of people suspecting this a few times before, from camps but also guided tour groups.
There was one time I suspected it myself, on Lake Louisa, but I had no way of confirming my suspicions.
It would be a pretty terrible thing to do.

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

8/04/2023 11:47 am  #5

Bampot wrote:

To be more accurate, all of them had the same green, domed tents set up at each site but without any people or other gear visible.

Very interesting - several years back my wife, daughter and I were backpacking to a site on Maple Leaf Lake for 2 nights and the prime site at the end of the trail had a green, domed North Face tent staked there with no other gear visible. I figured it may have just been someone there who had done a day hike and didn't think much of it. We were lucky enough to get another site that wasn't too bad, but then a father and son came by afterwards looking for a site and couldn't figure out how 3 sites were already staked when there were only 3 reservations made (including theirs) for that section. We didn't see/hear anyone come down the trail after that and there were no signs of activity in the evening at that site. I decided to check the site/tent the next day to make sure everything was ok (loudly announcing my presence as I approached) and found it vacant. That pretty much confirmed that someone had inappropriately staked a tent there for whenever, without having reserved it. Maybe the same tent colour and style is coincidental, but logic seems to indicate otherwise...

Last edited by hiker72 (8/04/2023 11:54 am)

8/04/2023 6:05 pm  #6

My first  thought was less cordial but  if they  have a permit, they have a permit.  It sucks that they hold the prime sites for an extended period but otherwise... (though not making the kids carry gear sure plays into the rep of many high end camp kids being spoiled brats).

In Hiker's case where it seems they didn't have a permit but were trying to hold a site, I'd be tempted to pack up the tent and stay there anyways (and accidentally drop it  in the lake).

8/07/2023 1:36 pm  #7

keg wrote:

My first  thought was less cordial but  if they  have a permit, they have a permit.  It sucks that they hold the prime sites for an extended period but otherwise... (though not making the kids carry gear sure plays into the rep of many high end camp kids being spoiled brats).

Permit or not, I don't think this practice is in the spirit of Algonquin Park, or summer camps.

8/12/2023 2:28 pm  #8

I am pretty sure this isn’t legal, even with a permit. I have always had good experiences with the camps. You might try calling the camp to ask for clarification of if this is an official policy or if some counsellor a have gone rogue on this. I wouldn’t be surprised if the camps are pushing for reservation by site as they could reserve the full summer on all the sites they want and never have to share again 🤷🏻‍♀️

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.