You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/16/2023 11:55 am  #1

crown lake to ragged lake, crown bay trail??

has anyone tried to find the portage/trail from the east end of crown lake , up a creek and or portage into ragged lake, 
   i have been on crown lake before but could not find the trail,, i am guessing spring water levels would be the best time to explore? 
     i did find some old info from 2013,,  kinda sketchy, but jeff say he had no problems?
       thanks 

7/18/2023 9:21 am  #2

Re: crown lake to ragged lake, crown bay trail??

The water level shouldn't matter on the Crown Lake side, but it definitely matters on the Ragged side. We went in October 2013 and the water was *very* low in Crown Bay.

To find the portage from Crown Lake, we headed down to the end of the bay as marked on my map. We then bushwhacked 10-20m from the lake to the trail. From that point the trail was pretty easy to follow. 

To be a bit more specific about the bushwhack, there was no evidence of the trail at the shoreline. However, I got out of the canoe, crossed the creek, and very shortly thereafter I picked up the trail.

The trail was clear and obvious to the road, then we headed west along the road. Soon we saw flagging on our right side which marked a 'trail' down to Crown Bay. It had clearly been used before, but the forest was quite open there so it was not as if you needed to stick to that one particular path. I just wanted to so I could GPS it.

I have since heard that the area was logged, and I know that Peek mentioned there was blowdown along the trail from Crown Lake to the road (though he *was* able to locate the trail).

Hope that helps!!

I make paddling maps! – MapsByJeff.com

7/18/2023 11:48 am  #3

Re: crown lake to ragged lake, crown bay trail??

hello j.m.
 nice to get a reply outta you,,, thanks for the info,, that access route might be an adventure for me to put  down on the calendar ,  for perhaps next spring?
     thanks again 
                 cheers swedish pimple

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.