You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/12/2023 5:14 pm  #1

Paddle/Hiking trip to Western Uplands.

I have backpacked a major portion of the Western Uplands Trail. Bad weather forced a detour on one of my last trips so there is a portion that I haven't been on and for the sake of it would like to complete. It's the 15.8 km loop to the west of Rainbow Lake. I was looking at my options of doing the whole thing on foot but it would probably take me 4 days of hiking. I would prefer to do it over 3. Based on the Canoe Routes map it looks like Rainbow Lake is pretty easy access if I approach from Canoe Lake. I'd have a portage of about 1.5 miles but other than that I'm not seeing a problem. I'd be using a Hemlock solo canoe that weighs about 28 pounds. I'd paddle in on day 1, hike the entire loop on day 2, and paddle out on day 3.

Has anyone done this trip? If so, any advice would be appreciated. 

Thanks.

6/12/2023 7:49 pm  #2

Re: Paddle/Hiking trip to Western Uplands.

Hi Kevin,

I assume you are referring to the loop north of Rainbow that passes through Otterpaw, East End and Loft Lakes? This northern section of trail that passes by East End and Loft has effectively been decommissioned for several years now and is no longer maintained. I know that backpackers have still traversed it, although I can't speak to its current state and how apparent the old trail is. The section through Otterpaw especially has lots of ups and downs, so the loop would be a solid hike for a day but quite doable, especially without a heavy pack.

If you decide to explore this area, a good option may be to canoe/portage up to Loft Lake as the sites there are now designated as canoe vs. backpacking. This way, you won't need to worry about stowing your canoe and the sites may be better than the low maintenance canoe site on Rainbow. I camped at the northern Loft site years back (when the trail was still active) and I really liked it. Aside from clam shells and shore vegetation, it also has a great sandy expanse for swimming. I was quite saddened when they closed this trail section as it was a fantastic corner of solitude.

Hope this helps!
Rich

Last edited by hiker72 (6/12/2023 7:57 pm)

6/12/2023 9:08 pm  #3

Re: Paddle/Hiking trip to Western Uplands.

Rich,

Thanks for that info. That's exactly the loop I was referring to. I haven't been in the Algonquin area since just before Covid and have been relying on my old maps. It's disappointing to hear that  section has been decommissioned. Although, I appreciate having the information now rather than after doing some serious planning. I'll take a look at your suggestion about going up to Loft Lake. But, it may be a good idea to get up to date maps first.

Thanks again for the reply.

Kevin

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.