You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/30/2023 8:47 pm  #1

Low maintenance portages La Muir to Merchant

Planning a trip for early August and wondering if anyone has experience with the low maintenance portages mentioned in the title.  Likely spending the night before on La Muir and going to Merchants and wondering how the portages are.  If the trails tend to be in good condition, I can manage the 4.5 k portage day.  Otherwise I'd do the portage to Big Trout then Merchant.

The other option is to go the long way around through Red Pine Bay and Longer then camp on Big Trout.

That part of the trip would be La Muir --> Merchant --> Proulx or La Muir --> Big trout --> Proulx

6/01/2023 7:59 am  #2

Re: Low maintenance portages La Muir to Merchant

I did them years ago (about ten years?) in May and they were quite good.  A few blowdowns here and there but generally in good condition and simple to follow.  August may be a bit of a different experience...possibly more overgrown with this year's vegetation, but I expect they get enough traffic to be very easy to follow.  There are some beautiful landings on a couple of the lakes.

6/01/2023 8:49 am  #3

Did them 3 or 4 years ago. Like PA said they were in good shape.

Map says 3 hrs. I think it took around that maybe a little less.

Last edited by ShawnD (6/01/2023 9:00 pm)

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

6/01/2023 10:25 pm  #4

Thanks for the feedback

6/07/2023 10:15 am  #5

Did them about three years back. Not too shabby, but each one had a tree or two knocked down. Had to go round a couple 'cause they were just too big to hop over. Shawn's right on the timing - roughly three hours.

Last edited by defrostingmeat (6/07/2023 1:20 pm)

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.