You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/16/2016 3:44 pm  #1

Where to stay on the way

Ordinarily I leave home around 2:30am and make the park by about 10:30am.  This time I'll have my 11-yr old son with me, and I don't have the heart to subject him to my craziness.  He could manage it, and I'm sure he'd sleep in the car, but he'd be toast by the end of Day 1 and probably Day 2 and that's no way to introduce him to the park. 

So - in the North Bay area, any thoughts or recommendations?  I'd rather give the kid an extra night in a bed than put the tent up, but I guess it would be an option to drive through to the access point, tent that evening then jump off the next morning.  All I'm really looking for is a lice-free bed.....and suddenly I'm kind of thinking putting the tent up might not be such a bad idea, except we would not get there until late, as in 11pm/midnight kind of late, probably later than they want you showing up at an access point. 

2/16/2016 8:14 pm  #2

Re: Where to stay on the way

Sorry if I'm mixed up but if I recall correctly from your previous posts, you're from Buffalo, and heading in on one of the west side access points (Mag, Rain), or maybe Farm Lake access to Booth Lake? If that's the case then North Bay is out of your way, isn't it? There are plenty of chain hotels and stuff in Huntsville for example if all you want is really a louse-free bed...

2/17/2016 10:00 am  #3

It all depends on which access point you are headed to. Without that info, we can't make any recommendations.

If you are talking about either Rain or Magnetawan, then North Bay is waaaaay out of the way. 

Barbara

Last edited by Barbara (2/17/2016 10:04 am)

Take everything as it comes; the wave passes, deal with the next one.

Tom Thomson, 1877-1917

2/17/2016 11:53 am  #4

Ooop!!  Sorry about that.  Yep, I'm the guy from Buffalo.  We had a change of access point.  I guess you haven't been in my living room with the map all over the floor with the boy and I pouring over it.  We're planning to jump off at Kiosk #29, and that's a pretty substantial drive.  I've never put in up there, so we're both up for a new adventure.  That puts North Bay as the closest location. 

I had totally forgotten about the ability to overnight at the access point, and maybe that's a good option, I'm just not sure how late we can get there and still be permitted to pitch a quick tent.

2/17/2016 12:20 pm  #5

Well, you can camp at some access points, not others, and at Kiosk there are actually 2 ways to do it: there are "jump-off campsites" just like at Rain and Mag (interior-style sites right at the access point that can be reserved as such), and there's also the Kiosk campground, a regular drive-in campground that's right beside the access point. I think a starting night at a jump-off campsite can be reserved as part of the canoe trip, as night 1 of an interior route, whereas a night in the campground would have to be a separate reservation, paying the reservation fee again (though I'm not sure how important reservations would be if you're starting on a week night). Along similar lines as the latter option there's also Samuel de Champlain Provincial Park very close to the Kiosk turnoff; unlike Kioisk, the Sam de Champ campground has showers.

If you're looking for roofed accommodations near Kiosk, there are some places along Highway 17 that would not only put you closer to Kiosk than North Bay, but avoid the detour into the city. Check out Cedar Gables Lodge or Dinner Bell Restaurant and Motel. I've never stayed at either so I can't offer reviews.

But anyway, North Bay has a full slate of hotels, as does Huntsville, which is farther from the access point but more directly en route. There are places between them too in the Sundridge/South River area.

2/17/2016 1:26 pm  #6

dontgroandaddy wrote:

Ooop!!  Sorry about that.  Yep, I'm the guy from Buffalo.  We had a change of access point.  I guess you haven't been in my living room with the map all over the floor with the boy and I pouring over it.  We're planning to jump off at Kiosk #29, and that's a pretty substantial drive.  I've never put in up there, so we're both up for a new adventure.  That puts North Bay as the closest location. 

I had totally forgotten about the ability to overnight at the access point, and maybe that's a good option, I'm just not sure how late we can get there and still be permitted to pitch a quick tent.

Argh, ready to throw the computer out the window.

If you're going to drive all the way to North Bay before stopping, you may as well just head to the access point and camp there.  I've read trip reports that people have done that, getting into the campsite late at night, and getting their permits in the morning when the office opens.

Kioshkokwi Lake - Kiosk Access Point (#29)
http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/visit/camping/kioshkokwi-lake-kiosk-access-point.php

Kiosk Campground
http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/visit/camping/kiosk-campground.php

Barbara

Last edited by Barbara (2/17/2016 1:28 pm)

Tom Thomson, 1877-1917

2/17/2016 1:51 pm  #7

Thanks very much to both of you.  I think we'll end up at the access point to jump off.  I'll just have to handle the reservations appropriately - and hey, I'm just about exactly five months away from the trip, so I can get the reservations going pretty much right away!

Barb - I hope I wasn't the source of your desire to throw the computer out the window! 

2/17/2016 2:17 pm  #8

It was, sort of.  I tried to do a "Preview" of my post, but it sorta disappeared.  So I started over.

Just the latest in a string of "what???!!!!" things that happened/are happening today.  Driving me nuts!

Computers/internet...gotta love 'em, eh?

Hope your trip sees fair weather and calm waters.  And a trip report filled with photos when you get back.

Barbara

Tom Thomson, 1877-1917

2/17/2016 2:19 pm  #9

Though I haven't done it, I would think the arriving late and camping at a jumpoff site thing would work better at Kiosk than at Mag or Rain, since at Kiosk the permit office is right there at the access point, no backtracking to Kearney in the morning.

What route did you end up going for?

2/17/2016 6:24 pm  #10

Barb - Computers.  Can't live with 'em, can't live with 'em.

Dan - we're going to head south toward Mouse Lake and hang out there.  I'd say "look out" to the fish, but I would rather they didn't know we were coming. 

John Connelly - thanks for the thought.  I'll probably look at that before all is said and done, but I'm really thinking we can make the access point and throw the tent up quickly.  I spoke with somebody at the park, and they were cool with us getting there late since we'd have an assigned spot to go to. 

And heck yeah, go Sabres! 

2/17/2016 8:21 pm  #11

dontgroandaddy wrote:

Dan - we're going to head south toward Mouse Lake and hang out there.  I'd say "look out" to the fish, but I would rather they didn't know we were coming. 

As discussed on the thread on the fishing forum, don't get anyone's hopes up for trout on a July trip using light/compact gear, whether or not they know you're coming. But do try to make time to go after smallmouth bass in Kioshkokwi and the Minks as you pass through. The downstream (northwestern) ends of the portages you'll hit on those lakes would be good spots to try for bass in the current, if water volumes are high enough. Other lakes like Club and perhaps Mouse (haven't been to it myself) may deliver good panfish action, including rock bass and pumpkinseed.

2/18/2016 8:46 am  #12

Thanks, Dan - I really appreciate that tip.

2/23/2016 9:39 am  #13

Hey DanPM. I can tell you that a late arrival at Rain is silly and out of the question. If you arrive after the Park Office in Kearney closes you can go and camp on the Rain Lake jump off sites but in the morning you need to drive all the way back to Kearney to get your permits. 

Sounds like Kiosk has a better set up as there is a proper car campground there. 

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.