You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/04/2023 12:43 pm  #1

Access Point #1 and 1a

Going up for a 4 day trip in May, and will be starting the trip out of K-mog.
We have never been to these access points, and both appear to be at or near outfitters. 

Anyone have experience on using these points, and are there additional charges for parking if the put ins are at the businesses? 

I have reached out to Northern Wilderness Outfitters as we are leaning towards using the eastern access.
Just waiting on a response, but I figured this would be faster.

4/04/2023 1:38 pm  #2

Re: Access Point #1 and 1a

NWO used to be reasonable -- charged us ~$20 to park there historically for a two night trip. Last year, they wanted $90 cash for a three night trip. A bit steep in my opinion. We just launched from the access point on K-mog. It's no secret that K-mog can be an angry lake. Keep an eye on the wind forecast and be prepared. 

4/04/2023 1:41 pm  #3

Yeah, mostly worried about the paddle back to the access point on day 4... was hoping to shorten the paddle a bit but 90$ seems excessive. Thanks for the heads up!

4/04/2023 2:09 pm  #4

I never used the outfitters, but you'd only be shortening the paddle by 15-20 minutes.  The north shore of K-mog is quite shallow from what I recall when I sent through there in Sept 2019 (seems like that wasn't so long ago, jeez).  If it's a significant dollar amount between the two I wouldn't worry about it and go with access #1.

That being said, if you're renting from NWO, according to their website parking is inclusive.  Might be worth the $$ not to park at #1, as there is only 1 vehicle per interior permit allowed.  You'd probably be best to call them to confirm that though, might be a "only-if-you-rent-a-million-things-for-7-nights" kinda deal.

Either way, keep an eye for the streetlight on Amable Du Fond.  Weird to see, but it makes the river a bit unique.  Also, there's rocks between the two portages that jump out at you in Sept.  They're probably good and low in the spring though.

4/04/2023 3:48 pm  #5

@IanTendy since #1 is located outside the park, I don't believe there are fees for additional vehicles. That should apply to all other accesses outside the park too (e.g. Tim, Hay, etc).

Definitely in the case of Hay (and I assume in the case of K'mog too) the accesses are located at public boat launches and are also used by people not accessing the park.

I make paddling maps! – MapsByJeff.com

4/04/2023 4:01 pm  #6

There are multiple crown land access points that they cannot stop you from parking at free of charge, but they will gladly charge you if you don't know any better...

4/05/2023 7:44 am  #7

jeffreym wrote:

@IanTendy since #1 is located outside the park, I don't believe there are fees for additional vehicles. That should apply to all other accesses outside the park too (e.g. Tim, Hay, etc).

Definitely in the case of Hay (and I assume in the case of K'mog too) the accesses are located at public boat launches and are also used by people not accessing the park.

Today I learned!  Guess I never took notice.

Does anyone know if access 1B to Craig lake is still a viable option?  I've been seeing reports that the park is discouraging people from parking down there, but it's a nice looking spot to take my kid.

4/12/2023 2:10 pm  #8

As far as I know there should be no issue parking at the 1B unofficial access but the last time I did this was 2021. 1B is also on Crown Land so it should be fine.

4/12/2023 9:27 pm  #9

jeffreym wrote:

Interesting point... there is a physical Permit Office at Access Point 1 (apparently under 3rd party contract) which I assumed regulated this. But it makes total sense that they cannot legally enforce park rules on non-park property.

4/17/2023 7:06 am  #10

Parked at 1B last Sept for a trip to Pishnecka. 3 nights. No problems.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.