You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/13/2023 8:19 pm  #1

Rock to Louisa Portage- Cartable?

I've been on this portage a couple of times, and I remember it being very flat and straight, but do you think it's flat and straight enough for a cart?

4/14/2023 6:52 am  #2

Re: Rock to Louisa Portage- Cartable?

Rough ground with protruding rocks and narrow bridges would be an obstacle to using a cart on that route.  On our last trip from Rock Lake there were two young people trying to get kayaks from Rock to Louisa using wheels attached to the stern of the kayak.    After passing them we never saw them again so I don't know if they made it all the way.

4/14/2023 7:14 am  #3

You would have to have a cart with 26" Fat bike tires (26*4.0). It may still even up being more difficult than double carrying. There are some skinny boardwalks, bouldery, and depending on the time of the year, some pretty mucky sections. 

Are you going to Louisa as a destination lake? 

4/14/2023 9:18 am  #4

It's an easy portage relatively and there are some flat sections, but like others have mentioned there's plenty of terrain that I would not want to attempt with a cart.

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

4/14/2023 11:55 am  #5

That all makes sense. Thanks for the replies!

4/16/2023 9:03 pm  #6

I have done the Rock-Louisa portage with a canoe cart and it is definitely doable.  Wear your packs and keep the canoe as empty as possible.  At the Rock Lake end there are some boardwalk sections that require you to carry the canoe.  There are also a couple of rocky climbs that require a little additional effort with a cart.  Would I use a cart again there????.... probably not unless the canoe was over 50 pounds.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.