You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/05/2023 8:58 am  #1

Werner or Bending Branches double bladed paddle?

I'm looking a double bladed paddle to use with my Shearwater. My current preference is the Werner Camano 240 - 260 cm adjustable paddle. I love my Werner Bandit whitewater paddle and the Camano has the same stiff fibreglass blade construction.  

https://www.wildernesssupply.ca/kayak-paddles/werner/camano-straight-shaft-adjustable-kayak-paddle

I'm also considering the Bending Branches Angler Classic Versa-lock 240 - 255 cm. It has fibreglass reinforced plastic blades, which I expect would have a lot more flex than the Werner. I don't want flex in the blades but the Bending Branches is roughly half the price of the Werner. 

https://bendingbranches.com/products/angler-classic-versa-lok

I'd love to hear from anyone using one of these paddles. I'm open to other paddles too but most interested in an adjustable length one at the moment. 

Thanks!

4/06/2023 6:59 am  #2

Re: Werner or Bending Branches double bladed paddle?

I have the adjustable Camano Rob. No experience with the Bending Branches.
To me it’s pretty much the perfect double blade. All carbon. Light.  Shrink it down for tight rivers and longer for open water or if you’re in a wider boat. I do use it at 260 quite often so the 255 of the BB might be too short sometimes. And I’m in a narrower solo than your Shearwater.

Last edited by ShawnD (4/06/2023 7:00 am)

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

4/06/2023 9:13 am  #3

Thanks Shawn, That's helpful.

How long of a single blade paddle do you use? My standard is a 58"/147 cm. 

4/06/2023 9:28 am  #4

Difficult question to answer Rob. I have bents as short as 49” and straight ottertails over 60”.

I would say my preferred straight paddle length has a shaft of 33-34” plus blade length.  So I own quite a few 56” paddles and I prefer a paddle that is a little shorter than longer.

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

4/06/2023 10:28 am  #5

Yeah, paddle blade shape makes a big difference to overall length, as does a bent shaft. I tend to go with a straight shaft and a fairly square blade. Sounds like I'm probably using a paddle that's a couple of inches longer on average. 

Thanks!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.