You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/05/2023 8:19 am  #1

Water filtration on the Tim River between Queer and Shippagew

I just booked a trip for the Tim River in September, I'll be staying one night at "Little Trout Creek" campsite, and one night at "Lower Pine R" campsite (I will likely choose the one mid-river, not at the portage).

How is the river water in those areas? I have a preference for using Aquatabs as my water filtration method. I don't own any pump/gravity filter.

Will Aquatabs be sufficient, or is the water too shallow and dirty? Will Aquatabs + boiling be sufficient? Is a pump and/or gravity filter a necessity?

Thanks in advance

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

4/05/2023 8:47 am  #2

Re: Water filtration on the Tim River between Queer and Shippagew

Aquatabs or boiling will be fine in terms of making the water safe. You can filter out sediment without having to use a ceramic pump. In fact if the water is full of silt or just has a high tannin level, then it is common to use a pre-filter before the ceramic filter or gravity filter. 

One option for a pre-filter is a coffee filter over the intake. That can work filling a Nalgene bottle too. Fasten the coffee filter over the mouth of the bottle with an elastic band. 

4/05/2023 8:54 am  #3

Thanks Rob. I plan on entering the river with a full Nalgene and filling the moment I get to Shippagew, so hopefully I don't need too much water for my one day in between. I don't care about taste or anything like that as long as it's physically safe to drink.

Boil > coffee filter into Nalgene > Aquatab. Sounds like that should be more than enough.

algonquinbeyond.com

4/05/2023 8:57 am  #4

Nice little campsite there. During my stay, wolves could be heard almost all night.

4/10/2023 3:14 pm  #5

I've stayed at the Farm Remnants site and the Lower Pine River site.  I just use Aquatabs, I've never filtered water.  Never had an issue.  I agree with Peek, nice area.  Didn't get lucky to hear wolves, but saw plenty of moose.

4/11/2023 7:47 am  #6

I used a Katadyn be free when I paddled from Queer to Shippagew a few years back.  Long, hot day but no issues with water quality.  Tablets should work just fine, try to fill in deeper/less cloudy pools if you can.  

Good call on the Lower Pine R site, the portage site isn't anything special (IMO).

Enjoy Shippagew, she's a beauty. 

4/11/2023 12:02 pm  #7

Thanks guys. Last year I had this same route booked but I had a last minute change of heart and did a loop out of Kiosk instead. Hopefully I follow through with it this year

algonquinbeyond.com

4/11/2023 1:32 pm  #8

comment moved to equipment section of this forum

Last edited by swedish pimple (4/12/2023 8:08 am)

4/21/2023 2:48 pm  #9

Did the Tim 6 years ago and camped at Lower Pine. As others have said, Aqua tabs and/or boiling should be fine. The water there is full of tannins just like most other rivers in the park. So filtered or not it will be a bit brown colored. But safe to drink

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.