You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/12/2023 10:53 am  #1

Big Tim Lake Loop

Hello All

I was looking at the map of Algonquin the other day and the wheels started turning and now I have a trip idea. Hoping to do this trip in late July to early August, over the course of 6-7 days.
Day 1 - Tim Lake to Big Bob (7.7 km)
Day 2 - Big Bob to one of the 3 campsites before the Highview cabin on the Nip (30.5 km)
Day 3 - One of the campsites listed above to High Falls on the Nip (25.5 km)
Day 4 - From High Falls to Big Trout (24.1 km)
Day 5 - Big Trout to Misty Lake (22.7 km)
Day 6 - Misty Lake to Iagoo Lake (20.2 km)
Day 7 - Iagoo Lake to Tim Lake (7.2 km)

If anyone has been on this route, or parts of it, I'd like to know about what to expect on way. Especially on the Nip an whether it's a good idea to go upstream on the Petawawa from White Trout L

Thanks

3/12/2023 3:29 pm  #2

Re: Big Tim Lake Loop

I tried to do a nip trip last year in early August and it didn’t work out well for me. I wanted to get to Highview by night two and I ended up bailing at Loontail Junction. The water levels and alder between the p200 and Grass Lake were a challenge and by the time I got through them I was already well behind schedule and exhausted. I realized that if I were to do it again I’d do something similar to your plan where I’d stop on Big Bob for the first night, stay on High Dam the next and then do Highview the third.  My trip report is here if you want more detail on that stretch. I can’t offer much on the rest of the route.

https://allofalgonquin.com/2022/08/12/low-water-high-alders-falling-short-on-the-nipissing-river/

3/13/2023 2:04 pm  #3

I did a similar trip a couple summers ago, early August.  I had planned the same Day 2 as you  but ended up stopping at High Dam.  The Alders were a hassle and there was a couple coming the other  way that  gave up on them but I've seen worse.  Probably could have made it to the next site but  the 1st site at High Dam was a solid site.  Being a bit behind on plan, I stopped at Graham's Dam instead of High Falls.  From there I had planned on getting to Burntroot but between the heat and the continual uphill of the portage to Remona, I was pretty done by the time I got to Whiskey Jack.  From there I did a fairly easy day to Shippagew (after I went up the Tim to Shah then Rosebary).
Big Trout to Misty should be no problem.  I've gone down that stretch and didn't find there too much current.  Haven't been to Iagoo but the trip from Misty to Mubwayaka won't give you much trouble.

If it were me, I'd add a rest day or split one of the days just in case.

(all assuming this isn't your 1st rodeo and have done similar distances before)

3/13/2023 2:32 pm  #4

We did this trip a couple of years back, around the same time of the year too.
We went in at the Tim and out at Magnetewan due to campsite availability near Tim lake on our last night.

I have a write up on here, plus some videos on You Tube.
https://algonquinadventures.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=3419

If you have any specific questions, let me know. 

Awesome route BTW!

3/13/2023 3:32 pm  #5

You can drive to Big Bob. 

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.