You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/31/2023 12:15 pm  #1

Otterslide Lake - Big or Small

Hi folks,

I've got a conundrum.  Do I plan to stay on Otterslide lake or Little Otterslide lake on my trip before May 24?  I've never been through the area, wondering what the consensus is for the better lake to spend 2 nights on.

Thanks!

Ian

Last edited by IanTendy (1/31/2023 12:15 pm)

1/31/2023 1:56 pm  #2

Re: Otterslide Lake - Big or Small

Depends what you like in a lake/campsite. I don't think either of them are clearly better. They both have a few nice sites, and a bunch of mediocre sites. Otterslide tends to offer more expansive views from the campsites due to the shape/size of the lake. Little Otterslide might feel more private depending on where you're camping and how many other campers are on the lake (and where they're camping).

Have you looked at the Campsite Reports on my website? I have a couple for each lake.

I usually choose based on the overall route. I think I would lean towards Otterslide, but I don't really have a strong preference.

Since there's no portage between the two, if you're spending two nights maybe do one on each? You can do a lazy pack, throw everything into the canoe and move sites.

EDIT: Depending on ice out and the bug schedule, if bugs are bad by that weekend Otterslide might have more bug-friendly campsites (the two small islands, and the popular CS #3 which is exposed to westerly winds)

Last edited by trippythings (1/31/2023 1:58 pm)

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

1/31/2023 2:14 pm  #3

trippythings wrote:

Have you looked at the Campsite Reports on my website? I have a couple for each lake.

That was the 1st place I looked!  Appreciate the insight.  
We usually enjoy a nicer firepit and cooking area more than anything else, and a view of the lake helps.  

We try our best not to go off-permit, especially around long weekends when things will be busy, and according to Camis these are two different lakes, so we don't want to go between the two lakes.  Plus we're generally lazy and won't want to move unless the site is significantly better.

1/31/2023 2:48 pm  #4

They are two different lakes yes. I meant you can book one for each night, not a game-time decision (eg. camp off permit).

If you just want to stay at one lake, my vote would be Otterslide just because the sites tend to be more exposed with views of the lake, which will help with the bugs. I haven't been on shore for every site on either lake, so I can't really comment on which lake has more campsites with better fire pits / cooking areas.

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

1/31/2023 3:57 pm  #5

trippythings wrote:

They are two different lakes yes. I meant you can book one for each night, not a game-time decision (eg. camp off permit).

Ah that makes sense.  

I think we'll take the bigger lake then, and if we lament our decision going through Little Otterslide, then we have an excuse to come back!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.