You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/24/2023 11:17 am  #1

Barron River

Does anyone have any information on the Barron River sites below the canyon?  I am trying to decide between extending my stay in the canyon with an overnight on one of the river sites, or cut my stay in the canyon a little short and head out to Squirrel Rapids.

1/24/2023 4:42 pm  #2

Re: Barron River

Travelled the Barron river a few years back and was unimpressed with the sites we passed east of the canyon. Also seems to be quite a bit of traffic along that stretch. 

1/25/2023 9:44 am  #3

If counting from 1 to 7, going left to right, I've camped at sites 1 and 4.
Site one had a pretty stellar view of the canyon, but a very small site and passers by warned us of poison ivy (didn't seem to be an issue tho).
Site four was pretty massive, and while it didn't have the best view - it was a large open site among the hemlocks.

I'd say if you have the ability to do an extra day - can't go wrong spending it in Algonquin, regardless where you camp.

1/25/2023 2:45 pm  #4

I'd echo Peek.  I've been by them a few times and only #1 looked promising from the water, can't speak to level sites but not much room so I doubt it.  Very spectacular paddle though!  Last time we passed a guy at the first site who seemed pretty content. You would see a bit of traffic there depending on the day and because it is narrow they're paddling right by you.  I suggested #1 Lake to a few friends who were new to camping and visited them a few years back.  Nice site and nice little lake but you can hear some road traffic if there is no breeze in the leaves - especially logging trucks. Gives you an extra night in the park and an easy out when you pack up.

1/27/2023 10:18 am  #5

Agreed, none of the sites are good (like the epic sites that have views of the natch on the petawawa) but wouldn't be a bad stay unless your going during bug season. 

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.