You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/01/2023 10:34 am  #1

Titanium Cookware

Hi,
I'm looking at lightening up my canoe pack for the 2023 canoe season.  I've been looking at switching to Titanium pots, but I predominately use a twig stove in the backcountry.  I was wondering if Titanium is suitable to be used with a woodfire/twig stove?  If anyone has any experience in this area.
Thanks very much!

1/02/2023 8:57 am  #2

Re: Titanium Cookware

Hmm .. I own a twig stove and titanium pots but to be honest I can't remember ever using the 2 together so I can't comment on performance. Toaks and Boundless Voyage both sell titanium twig stoves with their pots so it is clearly done. 

Last edited by ShawnD (1/02/2023 8:58 am)

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

1/02/2023 11:34 am  #3

I've been using a Toaks Ti 1100ml pot for 3 years now, mostly cooking over fire with zero problems.  My father in law just gave me the 2000ml  version for xmas, can't wait to get out this winter and boil up some chili. 

The only downside with Ti over Aluminum or Steel, is that it takes a little longer to heat up/get a boil going on a fire, twig stove or alcohol stove (my usual cooking preferences).  If you're using a high output stove like a dragonfly or whisper lite you'll still achieve a speedy boil. 

1/02/2023 4:57 pm  #4

TripperMike wrote:

The only downside with Ti over Aluminum or Steel, is that it takes a little longer to heat up/get a boil going on a fire, twig stove or alcohol stove (my usual cooking preferences). 

What's the physics behind that?  It seems counter intuitive if the pot is lighter.

1/02/2023 10:50 pm  #5

rgcmce wrote:

TripperMike wrote:

The only downside with Ti over Aluminum or Steel, is that it takes a little longer to heat up/get a boil going on a fire, twig stove or alcohol stove (my usual cooking preferences). 

What's the physics behind that?  It seems counter intuitive if the pot is lighter.

I think it has to do with the conductivity of the metals.  I could be wrong about stainless steel pots, they may actually take longer to boil, but will disperse heat more evenly when cooking which is always a good thing.  Aluminum will disperse heat more evenly and quicker than titanium and steel though.  Titanium can produce "hot spots" if you're cooking on high heat without frequently stirring. 

1/02/2023 11:08 pm  #6

Thanks for all the responses, greatly appreciated.  I think I will give Titanium a shot for cookware on my spring trip!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.