You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/15/2022 9:40 am  #1

SiteScout

I was wondering if anyone was having difficulties getting SiteScout extension to work on Ontario Parks Website?  I booked my spring trip and it didn't seem to be working.  I deleted the extension and then reinstalled it. no changes.  If anyone has any tips to get it to work I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

12/15/2022 4:38 pm  #2

Re: SiteScout

There’s a Reddit thread about it here: https://www.reddit.com/r/algonquinpark/comments/zl78q9/backcountry_reservations_sitescout_extension_not/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

I’ve also got a few stories on my IG with questions about peoples opinion on monetizing it. The stories will be up until 9pm tonight if you want to give your opinion. Note that I am not the developer, it’s someone else that I know.

Instagram: https://instagram.com/algonquinbeyond

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

12/16/2022 12:24 pm  #3

Remember you can always look in the code yourself.

It's a little painful but the numbers are there.

https://old.reddit.com/r/algonquinpark/comments/hh50ra/ive_figured_out_how_to_tell_how_booked_up_a_lake/

Last edited by ShawnD (12/16/2022 12:25 pm)

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

12/16/2022 12:30 pm  #4

@ShawnD I believe that is no longer true

The most recent change by Ontario Parks that broke SiteScout (which sparked this thread being created, along with the Reddit thread that I linked above), also removed that information from the public facing data. I spoke to the developer and he said it's not being shown publicly anymore, but the data is still available in the API so SiteScout should still be able to get patched. But basically the Chrome Inspect workaround is not possible anymore. 

algonquinbeyond.com

12/16/2022 1:02 pm  #5

I'm not a programmer but looks to be there Trippy... this is David lake for May 12 and it is red right now and fully booked. 

remainingReservableQuota = 0.0

May 12 as well.. Rosebary.. looks like 2 sites left.

remainingReservableQuota = 2.0

Last edited by ShawnD (12/16/2022 1:06 pm)

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

12/16/2022 1:08 pm  #6

You're right, it looks like it was added back. There are additional fields in Inspect Network that weren't there a few days ago. We must have caught Ontario Parks right in the middle of an update when the fields weren't visible.

algonquinbeyond.com

12/16/2022 1:32 pm  #7

@trippythings that seems most likely. I too found that the remainingReservableQuota field was present when I checked (yesterday).

I make paddling maps! – MapsByJeff.com

12/19/2022 1:15 am  #8

Thanks for disseminating the know how.

I just don't understand why Ontario Parks removed the feature to see remaining sites in the first place.

Kinda annoying, but good to know at least we can still find this information out.

ShawnD wrote:

Remember you can always look in the code yourself.

It's a little painful but the numbers are there.

https://old.reddit.com/r/algonquinpark/comments/hh50ra/ive_figured_out_how_to_tell_how_booked_up_a_lake/

12/19/2022 7:57 am  #9

SeekingSolitude wrote:

Thanks for disseminating the know how.

I just don't understand why Ontario Parks removed the feature to see remaining sites in the first place.

Possibly because cheap bastards such as myself would not bother spending $$$ to make a reservation if we saw that our destination had lots of space.

12/19/2022 10:08 am  #10

Thanks for the responses! and for the info on SiteScout and the info on the reservable Quota Field.
This Spring's trip is booked.  Long way yet, but very much looking forward to a May fishing trip.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.