You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/10/2022 12:29 am  #1

Rain Lake to Islet & Weed Lake, late October

Since it is now a slow time of year when it comes to going on trips, I thought I would post my first trip report. I find there are always lessons learned from a trip, from something you want to change to things you would want to do again.

As we have been having some pretty mild weather, last week in October I did a quick getaway, the latest trip in the year that I have done, only a one nighter starting at Rain and going into Islet.  I know this is a super short trip, but I also don't have much free time, so I got to make the time I do have count.  At least even with a short trip I got exercise with a nature destination, keeping the heart pumping & keeping the soul alive!

I'll start with my summary & if that catches your attention, then read on for the trip details
-A key lesson I learned on this trip is that if I lend out gear to someone, don't assume it was returned in working order!! Test it out before heading out on a trip!! Anyhow, maybe a good practice to follow, especially if you are on your own and/or there is no other similar backup gear in your group.
-Weather was warm for this time of year, no rain, days almost 20C to upper single digits at night. Obviously nice time of year for bug free camping.  Well past prime fall colour time, leaves on the ground had also long dried out & lost their colour.
-Decided on Islet as smallmouth bass season still open, fishing was tough, clearly at this time fish have left the shallows, both small baitfish and larger fish.  Though I did manage a fresh fish fry with a lot of fishing effort.  Actually all life seems to have left the shallows, no signs of any of those bugs that run on the surface, no signs of any amphibian life (eg frogs) or turtles.
-Camped on the only island site on Islet, nice site for several smaller tents.  I was surprised by traffic on Rain lake, but did have Islet to myself.

Going on such a short trip I need to travel light & fast, charge of the light brigade!  For my watercraft I went with my Costco bought 10ft Pelican Mission recreational kayak, although it is a budget kayak it gets the job done & at the price point I got it at, it is hard to beat. Unknowing of the coming run on kayaks due to Covid, I bought it in May 2020 at Costco for $320, a ridiculously good price, including a kayak paddle.  For me a kayak works well with a comfortable seat & back support & along with a double bladed kayak paddle this keeps my carpal tunnel syndrome at bay.  The 10ft length also helps with being nimble in getting going on my trip quickly as it fits inside my RAV4 (of course only if there are no passengers).

I know there were several discussions about saving the booking fee by booking in person at the park, but I couldn't try this out as the Rain lake office in Kearney was already closed (not open weekdays at this time of year) & going to the West gate was too out of the way, so booked online & headed straight to Rain Lake. At Rain lake I was greeted by an "Attention! Bears in area sign".  So of course that had me a little more on alert, however in almost 30 years of backcountry camping I have yet to see a bear in the wild or one of those signs for that matter... I have always assumed the biggest risk to my personal health is an accident driving to/from Algonquin rather than a predator encounter.

I was surprised at how busy Rain lake was given how late in the season it was and also being a weekday.  The ranger cabin was of course booked & kinda noisy for my liking, also all the jump off sites seemed occupied.  Crossed paths with several canoeists & kayakers on Rain lake.  Also saw some backpackers hiking as the old railway line follows in close proximity to Rain lake.  

I trolled with several different lures my entire paddling journey: several deep diving crank-baits & weighted paddle tails, but did not get a single bite trolling. Normally the Bass would really go for the paddle tail lure.

Portaged from Rain Lake into Hot Lake, signed 740m.  Start of the portage at Rain, is quite steep & the built in log steps are really getting badly eroded away.  It could be quite tricky/dangerous if it was raining or the ground was already wet.  I always double carry, maybe I'm out of shape, but my excuse is I feel it is safer.  I think if you have done this long enough you have already slipped/tripped & with a lot of weight up high you are less nimble & have a high centre of gravity.  I know I have to walk the portage distance x3, but I'm not in a race & if I get injured no one is coming to rescue me anytime soon, so I'd rather play it safe & be lighter & more nimble on the portage.

On Hot Lake I trolled again, but again not a single bite.  Portage from Hot to Islet, signed 455m, is unremarkable, nothing really stood out, just a typical portage.  On Islet I trolled again until I got to the only island campsite on the lake, but again not a single bite.  The island campsite on Islet is a nice one, at least a couple good tent pads for smaller tents 2-3person.  Also previous tenants left a nice supply of wood for a campfire.

[img][/img]

After setting up camp it was time to filter some water.  My current water filter is the Sawyer Mini.  Have had it for 3 years with no problems & then the squeeze bag sprung a leak this year.  So bought a pack of 3 replacement squeeze bags this summer.  I lent the system to my daughter & her friends to use on a trip during labour day.   I didn't test it after getting it back, just packed it up for this trip & when I tried to use it, the squeeze bag immediate sprung a leak.  So I doubt I made it leak, so that was another lesson learned to test out gear I lend out before I use it again.  And another lesson is those sawyer squeeze bags are not that reliable (as have had two spring leaks already) so maybe pack at least another as backup or at least a few water purification tablets as backup.

My nephew had been battling gastrointestinal problems this summer, bouts of vomiting & diarrhea.  Invariably his Dr was saying things like it was lactose intolerance or food poisoning.  It did seem like a let down from a medical doctor as the "diagnosis" were made with little to no investigation.  Eventually my sister took him to a naturopath Dr who did what you would think a regular Dr should have done, which is namely order comprehensive stool test.  Anyhow, turns out it was Giardia parasite that had been bothering him for months!!

So with that in mind, I was not going to drink unfiltered water & with a busted filter system this meant I would have to boil water.  Problem is this was a quick trip & I just threw things together for the trip.  I threw in an almost empty alcohol container into my pack (remnants from my last trip), as I was going to primarily use the trangia alcohol stove for boiling water for food (ramen soup, pasta, oatmeal). I also packed a Pocket Rocket Deluxe & partially used canister to use for a fish fry in case (I mean when....) I caught a fish.  So I was going to be cutting it close with my fuel supply now that it was also going to also be used to boil water for drinking!

After setting up camp I went out determined to catch a fish for dinner.  I eventually caught one smallmouth & tossed it back.  In hindsight with how difficult fishing was, I really was taking my chances & might not have had fresh fish dinner.  Fortunately I did catch a 2nd & given the time of year, it was quickly getting dark after 6pm. I had to get back to the campsite & process the fish in the dark. 

This was the other thing that surprised me about camping at this time of the year, the nights are long!!  One cannot sleep for 14 hrs! I don't know if I'm the only one, but I feel like a camp fire is a social thing.  You, know sit around the campfire & chat.... So I don't make campfires when I solo camp.  So with not much to do during the long night, fortunately I had a few movies downloaded on my phone & watched a movie to kill some time before I went to sleep.  

In the morning I was back to fishing Islet & decided to take a trip down to Weed lake through the short 40m portage.  I expected that it would be a weedy lake given the name & was not disappointed in that regards!  Although I was also expecting that not many make it to Weed lake to do fishing, but I guess given the current water temperatures/conditions, I once again did not have any luck fishing on Weed lake.

After fishing at Weed lake it was back to Islet & packing up the campsite.  I headed back the return journey shortly after noon.  I once again trolled back the entire way, but again did not get any bites.

I must say camping felt quite strange this late in the year, from the long nights to lack of wildlife in the park.  There are times when I say there are zero bugs, but it is a figure of speech, as there might still be a few biting bugs (mosquitos or flies), but at this time of the year there literally were no bugs.  Nothing flying & no bugs running on the surface of the water.  Not to mention, didn't hear anything chirping or croaking. No sounds of loons. No little amphibians or reptiles & no signs of little baitfish swimming.  It is clear by this time of year life in Algonquin is already buckling down for the long winter!  Winter is coming!

PS. Sorry I had some pictures, but obviously I am a noob, couldn't seem to figure out how to include the pictures in the post

Last edited by SeekingSolitude (11/10/2022 12:43 am)

11/10/2022 9:23 am  #2

Re: Rain Lake to Islet & Weed Lake, late October

Enjoyed your report!  In....2017 I think it was, I took my kids on the same route, but we had three nights.  Spent two on Islet (the campsite opposite the island site) and one night on the island site on Rain (on the backside of the island).  That portage from Rain to Hot....I really disliked that climb, and coming down was an absolute caution.  

BTW, I double carry as well.  I'm not a beast, just a beast of burden.

We encountered a family on the portage from Hot to Islet.  They were from Cleveland.  I think they had three kids...maybe it was four, and they used two boats, but one of the boats they towed behind them and it was full of gear, like a barge.  Some of the kids were pretty young, so I think they lacked paddlers and kind of made due, so the boat they were in was full of people and gear.  I have never seen a canoe sit so low in the water.  It scared me to watch them, and they'd been out a few days - they did this annually.

Sorry you had water trouble.  I use a platypus gravity filter, and while I've never had the "ok, now I have to boil water" problem, I worry about the leaking bag thing, especially as those bags and tubes get older.  Glad you got through it ok!

11/10/2022 6:24 pm  #3

MooseWhizzer Dave wrote:

Sorry you had water trouble.  I use a platypus gravity filter, and while I've never had the "ok, now I have to boil water" problem, I worry about the leaking bag thing, especially as those bags and tubes get older.  Glad you got through it ok!

Only problem I've seen with a Platypus gravity filter was where a super aggressive red squirrel at our campsite on Macintosh chewed a hole in one of the hoses on our friends filter.  The same squirrel also chewed a hole in their, fortunately mostly empty, 1 liter wine tetrapak.

11/10/2022 9:25 pm  #4

Rodents chewing through things does seem to be a problem!  I had also lent my Sea to Summit collapsible XPot for the same labour day trip of my daughters & something chewed several small holes into the silicone side of the pot, rendering the pot only useful if you want to boil/cook a small amount below the holes.

My daughter was responsible & bought me a replacement one, unfortunately can't return it since she bought it through The Last Hunt. I told her she should have told me first, as I did not really want it replaced. It was a gift to me & anyhow I think it is kinda gimmicky. Sure other metal pots don't collapse flat, but you can still pack stuff inside them, so I don't think you really come out ahead with a collapsible pot. Not to mention a metal pot is not going to ever fail you on a backcountry trip.

11/10/2022 9:56 pm  #5

MooseWhizzer Dave wrote:

Enjoyed your report!  In....2017 I think it was, I took my kids on the same route, but we had three nights.  Spent two on Islet (the campsite opposite the island site) and one night on the island site on Rain (on the backside of the island).  That portage from Rain to Hot....I really disliked that climb, and coming down was an absolute caution.  

Thanks, nice you enjoyed the report!

Coincidentally, I actually camped into Islet in 2017 as well, but it was a backpacking 2 night trip, with my sister & nephew (same one with the giardia). That was a really wet summer, lots of mud & puddles on the trail. Perfect for mosquito breeding! The mosquitos were terrible on the hike, even with it being August. I thought my nephew would never go backcountry camping again, but instead it has been the start of a new tradition for him.

I did explore the start of the Rain/Hot portage, from the backpacking trail down to Rain, & I don't remember it being as eroded as it currently is 5 years later. Yes it was always steep, but now you really need to be careful here!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.