You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/08/2016 7:08 pm  #18

Re: General Purpose Camp Knife

Becker BK16!

2/09/2016 10:35 am  #19

Gotta say, reading this thread I'm feeling a little out-knived!

I have an early-nineties Bear MGC that was given to me a few years ago by an older friend. It's a decent knife and I like it but I wouldn't do any batoning with it. It's quite heavy, though, so as often as not I leave it home and just take my SAK. It seems to do everything I need a knife to do.

Bear MGC 5 inch Rosewood Professional Lockback, Model 297R

Dave

2/09/2016 11:16 am  #20

Full tang is essential for a rugged bush knife in my opinion, especially for battoning wood.

2/09/2016 1:27 pm  #21

Great stuff here guys!  I ended up getting the Gerber Big Rock...it's cheap and I think it will do the trick.

Since we're comparing knives, I also bought this CRKT Foresight last year and use it as my every day carry.  It comes on all my trips with me as well for the lighter duty stuff:

2/10/2016 11:30 am  #22

I don't really carry a knife other than a simple Swiss Army Driver. However, sometimes I bring a K-Bar as the big knife for getting through ice, splitting wood, hammering, etc...

2/10/2016 4:02 pm  #23

Interesting choice Steve. The Big Rock isn't a bad knife, the 440a stainless is more of a cutlery steel and is very stain resistant. Something to keep in mind is the handle material, as you camp in the winter when it gets cold enough, the handle is glass filled nylon with an over grip and in the cold it can break. I know a couple people who have them and they do like them but they aren't very hard on their knives, mainly used for cooking chores and cutting ropes etc around camp. Let me know how you like it

2/10/2016 5:37 pm  #24

Thanks Zen I bought this fully realizing that it may not hold up to the tasks I plan to use it for, but for the price I figured it's worth a shot

2/10/2016 6:03 pm  #25

The price point is usually based on the steel used. I'm not sure how it would hold up to batoning wood but I think it should do most of what you ask of it :D

Last edited by ZenSoloist (2/10/2016 6:04 pm)

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.