You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/10/2022 9:07 am  #1

What do you do with YOUR pockets?

Hey AAF!

Not an overly exciting topic, but having just purchased a new tent and while going through my 'initialization process' (removing tags/instructions, adding vent lines, etc.) I wondered...

What do you guys do with your tent pockets?

I never use them - instead, I cut them right out of the tent. It's not for weight saving (obviously), it's just that I never use them - so why keep them in? 

I don't use them because I don't like the idea of adding any weight to a tent wall - and in most cases, they are attached to a lower section of the tent wall. Who knows - maybe it's completely fine and my concerns aren't really an issue, but I can't see this being good for the tent in the long run.

Never the less - what do you guys do? Keep them? Ditch them? Use them? Any problems?

Also - Happy Thanksgiving!

10/10/2022 9:59 am  #2

Re: What do you do with YOUR pockets?

I've always found some use for the tent pockets.  Great place to store odds and ends for me.  Extra flashlight and such.  The last tent I bought the tent pockets are purely the screen mesh so not sure how long they will last.

10/10/2022 12:36 pm  #3

I put my flashlight in one and my glasses in the other, and that's it.  

10/10/2022 1:02 pm  #4

My hammock has a "pocket" that slides along the top line inside the hammock - I use it to hold my glasses, headlamp and any loose items from my pockets that I'll want when I wake up.

For tent pockets they were the go-to place to keep eyeglasses safe so they don't get squished in the darkness.

10/10/2022 5:13 pm  #5

Use them all the time. Really useful for keeping stuff organized in the tent.

10/10/2022 6:00 pm  #6

Stuff I put in the pockets... eye glasses, map, kleenex, toque/gloves on the colder trips, TP, stuff sacks (just recently in our new one that has a small gear loft)

Last edited by hiker72 (10/10/2022 6:01 pm)

10/11/2022 7:32 am  #7

during the day it holds my headlamp and flashlight, at night it holds my glasses and watch...

10/11/2022 7:48 am  #8

I hammock now and use the ridgeline and hanging pocket to store anything I may need through the night or may need to find quickly when I get out . Lights, multi tool, toque etc . When I was still tenting I did prefer a gear loft over side wall pockets . Also like the gear loft lines to hang lantern, wet gear etc .

10/11/2022 8:16 am  #9

That's where I keep my beef jerky, of course. 

In all seriousness, I keep tent repair stuff in one of them permanently.  Spare mesh/nylon/gear tape and seam sealer in a little ziplock bag.  I'll often put my sunglasses in there after sunset so I don't step on them or squish them in a pack (as I have done too many times).

I don't find much other use for them outside of that though. 

10/15/2022 6:15 pm  #10

I always use them, as many here, my glasses and map in one, flashlight and camera in the other, so they are easy to find and grab. I too bought a new tent, this one from overseas, waiting for it to arrive. If it doesn’t have the pockets I’ll sew some into it.

10/16/2022 10:45 am  #11

I keep things I need to be able to find in the middle of the night (like headlamp) and make sure not to overfill them

10/18/2022 9:44 am  #12

This is why I love this forum. Some really great replies here, and a lot of them just plain old make sense.

So, I've opted to KEEP my tent pockets and use them for my sunglasses, tuque & headlamp. I really like the idea of not having to pat down my entire tent floor in the pitch black at 4am looking for my headlamp while I desperately have to pee.

Thanks guys!

10/18/2022 3:23 pm  #13

In 1980, had I been able to locate my flashlight, I wouldn't have the handle Moosewhizzer.  It would be something like WetMyPantsWhenMyFlashlightLitUpTheMoose.  That's just entirely too long - so I keep my flashlight in the pocket.

10/18/2022 4:03 pm  #14

Haha tent pockets saved the Dave!

Both names involve whizz tho.. just depends on yours or the moose.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.