You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/30/2022 7:14 pm  #1

Confusion over confirmation emails serving as permits

During covid restrictions I simply parked and used my confirmation email as my 'permit'. However, the backcountry reservation website is alluding to 'permits' being acquired when one 'checks-in'. Today I talked with reservation staff and asked what policy now was for Algonquin backcountry. They were unsure and after referring to a supervisor, they said to just carry your confirmation email and leave your reservation number on your vehicle's dashboard. 

Has anyone been able to find any online official instructions on the current system regarding backcountry 'permits'?

8/30/2022 7:27 pm  #2

Re: Confusion over confirmation emails serving as permits

Ha! I continued my Google search on this issue and found this at .. https://www.ontarioparks.com/park/algonquin/backcountry/camping
Algonquin - Backcountry
"You do not need to pick up your permit at the access point offices. Once you have your reservation, simply print out a copy of your reservation letter (or keep a digital copy available) and this will be your camping permit. Nothing is required for your vehicle when backcountry camping. Please ensure the information on your reservation is current and correct - including your licence plate information. If you need to make changes such as occupants or vehicles, you can call the reservation centre at 1-888-668-7275 or log in to your account on the reservation website."
----------

It appears that wardens checking the parking lots can access records by way of vehicles' licence plate numbers. So. if you switch vehicles without informing the 'system', it could get tricky. And once wardens are 'out on the water', they'll be focusing on the 'reservation numbers'.

8/30/2022 8:59 pm  #3

It's actually on the confirmation email that you receive after making a reservation. It says:

"Check in upon arrival is not required. Backcountry campers will be e-mailed their confirmation letter, and this letter will serve as their backcountry camping permit. Campers are responsible for ensuring they have an electronic copy or printed letter when using the backcountry."

However they don't do a good job at explaining the car situation, which like you said doesn't require any paperwork since they search based on the license plate.

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

8/31/2022 4:04 am  #4

I was in the backcountry August long weekend and two wardens stopped by my site.  I produced a copy of my confirmation email and that was good enough for them.  I didn’t register at the access point when I started my trip.

8/31/2022 5:41 am  #5

I logged in to the reservation site to confirm I had correctly entered my vehicle's plate number (something I clearly remember doing). I couldn't find anywhere to do that for the specific reservation, so I checked my profile section. There I found a plate belonging to a vehicle I haven't owned in a few years. I updated it, but I'm wondering where the original booking plate number went.

8/31/2022 6:38 am  #6

scratchypants wrote:

I logged in to the reservation site to confirm I had correctly entered my vehicle's plate number (something I clearly remember doing). I couldn't find anywhere to do that for the specific reservation, so I checked my profile section. There I found a plate belonging to a vehicle I haven't owned in a few years. I updated it, but I'm wondering where the original booking plate number went.

Probably works as well as the rest of the new CAMIS software

8/31/2022 7:54 am  #7

Yes. Thanks "Trippy". Got it! I should have read all the details at the end of the confirmation email ...

• IMPORTANT:
  • Prior to your visit please make sure to check Alerts in Ontario Parks to ensure you are up to date on important advisories for your park.

• One vehicle is included in your campsite permit. Additional Vehicle Permits must be purchased and displayed for all other vehicles.

• The campsite permit holder must be sixteen years of age or older.

• Backcountry campers should hang their food out of reach from wildlife; at least 4 m above ground and 2 m from tree trunks.

• Check in upon arrival is not required. Backcountry campers will be e-mailed their confirmation letter, and this letter will serve as their backcountry camping permit. Campers are responsible for ensuring they have an electronic copy or printed letter when using the backcountry.

• Garbage collection facilities are not available at all access point parking areas. Park visitors are asked to reduce waste, take garbage home, and dispose of all litter responsibly.  The possession of any non-burnable food or beverage containers (cans or glass bottles) are prohibited in backcountry camping areas.

• Don’t move firewood – Buy and burn firewood locally. Moving firewood from places where invasive insects and diseases have been found can be a violation of the Plant Protection Act. For more information about restrictions, visit the Canadian Food Inspection Agency.

9/22/2022 4:21 pm  #8

I know it is convenient to not check-in, but I always thought one of the benefits of check-in, check-out (or leave your permit in one of the boxes) is for emergency purposes. If someone calls inquiring about your safety at least ranger/warden will have a better idea if something happened. 

But I guess even this will soon be a moot point, sounds like technology is advancing such a pace that even a cellphone will have satellite access in a few years.

9/22/2022 10:55 pm  #9

SeekingSolitude wrote:

I know it is convenient to not check-in ... even a cellphone will have satellite access in a few years.

I think the major benefit of not checking in is that you don't have to waste precious time (i.e. time in the backcountry). But the other point you bring up, that common phone technology will progress to the point where we can all have access and be tracked, even in the backcountry, makes me anxious. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before somebody, acting in the name of safety or the greater good, insists that all our movements be tracked, both inside and out of the backcountry. For centuries people have been traveling across algonquin and the vast majority have done so safely and without constant oversight via technology or whatever. But if it just saves one life then it's good to require mandatory tracking in the park. Time to pitch my tin foil tarp!

9/25/2022 9:16 am  #10

SeekingSolitude wrote:

...But I guess even this will soon be a moot point, sounds like technology is advancing such a pace that even a cellphone will have satellite access in a few years.

In case you missed the iPhone 14 announcement, they actually just announced it can be used as an SOS device in emergencies, connecting via satellite. 

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

9/25/2022 11:27 am  #11

... but not yet.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.