You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/16/2022 4:05 pm  #1

Can you still make a reservation at park offices?

As the question says... might want to make a quick trip.  Is it  still possible to show up at a permit office and book a trip?  Looked at the park site but  couldn't find any mention of it.

Thanks.

8/16/2022 4:54 pm  #2

Re: Can you still make a reservation at park offices?

the last time i was in your hiking boots and showed up at a permit office without a permit,, the person working there handed me the phone after they dialled  the reservation number and told me to make a reservation,, just like that,, i did not feel a thing!!!   
     perhaps things have changed,, and this was pre covid 

8/30/2022 7:53 pm  #3

Yes you can still do this. I usually just book online before driving up but you can book in person

9/22/2022 4:31 pm  #4

Even for last minute quick trips, why not just book online the morning of your trip before you leave?  I have done it that way.

Online saves you $2 instead of in person/phone reservation fee. I feel like I will earn the title of board cheapskate, personally I prefer being known as frugal ;-) Hey save a couple bucks on the hundreds if not thousands of things you buy every year, grocery items, gas, etc.. pretty soon your talking real money!

9/22/2022 11:02 pm  #5

I'm not sure what the current rate is but I avoided reserving in preference to just getting a permit "at the door" and it saved me $9 at the time. Also, I didn't have to worry about changing my reservation because once I hit the permit office I was fully committed.

Yesterday 8:58 am  #6

swedish pimple wrote:

the last time i was in your hiking boots and showed up at a permit office without a permit,, the person working there handed me the phone after they dialled  the reservation number and told me to make a reservation,, just like that,, i did not feel a thing!!!   
     perhaps things have changed,, and this was pre covid 

Permit offices should be able to issue a permit without a prior reservation but I can see a trend away from providing that service as a way to streamline the operations of the permit offices.   We were at Sandbanks PP recently and I believe they had signage indicating that you had to have a booking before coming to the gate.   Considering how busy that park is I can see them not wanting to have to deal with people who don't already have a reservation.  Kind of annoying having to pay a reservation fee knowing they are not full.

We also saw this in Nova Scotia the year before Covid.   The park attendant could not give us a site -- we had to go into a room beside the office and call the reservation service.

It was great touring the Yukon this summer.   All campsites are available first come first served (no reservation system) and only $20 a night which included firewood.

Yesterday 4:08 pm  #7

SeekingSolitude wrote:

Even for last minute quick trips, why not just book online the morning of your trip before you leave?  I have done it that way...

What I ended up doing.  I spend the previous night out of cell service but just stopped at  timmies on my drive and booked it.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.