You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/08/2022 9:03 am  #1

Double blade paddles >260cm?

Tried the double blade in a Langford 15' prospector sitting reverse from the bow.  I'm 5'7".  260cm was the longest paddle I could find in stock and still wishing for something a bit longer.  Anyone else find this to be the case as well and what length did you ultimately settle on?

Last edited by MichaelAngelo (8/08/2022 9:04 am)

8/30/2022 8:05 pm  #2

Re: Double blade paddles >260cm?

My paddle is quite a bit shorter but I trained with a 192 cm whitewater paddle so I have a very vertical stroke - even in a solo canoe

8/31/2022 8:51 am  #3

I'm just starting to look for a double bladed paddle and will be looking for a 260cm to start with. Checking some of my preferred brands the longest I am seeing is 260 cm. 

8/31/2022 2:33 pm  #4

Did some more looking today. Bending Branches has a couple of double bladed paddles targeting solo canoeing that go up to 280cm. 

https://bendingbranches.com/collections/solo-canoeing

9/05/2022 11:47 pm  #5

280 cm ! Just a little shy of a 10' pole and I wouldn't want to touch that. Sometimes I wish my double bladed paddle would mysteriously disappear because I would be glad to lose the slight gain in efficiency in favor of reclaiming the purity and elegance of a proper canoe paddle.

9/06/2022 9:17 am  #6

solos wrote:

280 cm ! Just a little shy of a 10' pole and I wouldn't want to touch that. Sometimes I wish my double bladed paddle would mysteriously disappear because I would be glad to lose the slight gain in efficiency in favor of reclaiming the purity and elegance of a proper canoe paddle.

I use a 58" single blade paddle most of the time and by the end of a week of whitewater training I'm comfortable using a 60".  In other words I normally use a 5' single blade paddle, so if I want to use a double blade and not give up reach on my paddle stroke, then yeah a 10' paddle would make sense. 

Except that you're a little off on your conversion as 280 cm is only 9' 2". Hmmm, looks like I should be shopping for a 280 cm paddle rather than a 260 cm one. 

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.